Applications can be submitted throughout the year. We do not have application deadlines. For enrolment in the summer semester (start in early April) submission is recommend no later than November, for enrolment in winter semester (start in early October) no later than May.
To apply for this programme please read thoroughly through the guide "Application Step by Step" and then submit your complete application online. We do only accept complete applications – including a PhD proposal according to our specifications that fits the research profile of our PhD programme.
You will need the following documents to upload to your online application via the online portal:
- A colour passport-styled photo (in JPEG format)
- Curriculum Vitae (with academic and professional experiences)
- A Statement of Research Interest (max. 1 page) and Research Proposal (max. 5 pages plus references/tables) – we only accept applications using and completing our template (specified structure & questions, maximum length, font type, font size)
>> The applicant decides on which research topic to write her or his proposal. The purpose of the research proposal is to evaluate the student’s ability to pursue doctoral studies. The proposal is forwarded to a potential supervisor who decides if the candidate grasps the academic qualities for the programme and suits the profile of the respective chair. Important is that the proposal contains scientific and innovative ideas and it is necessary to use the latest international scientific methods. You should make clear that you know about the worldwide state-of-the-art in your research field.
- Certified copy of your original higher education entrance qualification (e.g. high school diploma or German Abitur certificate)
- Certified copies of your complete Bachelor´s and Master´s certificates and transcripts of records
>> If the original certificates or transcripts of record are not in English or German, then you will need to also submit a certified translation to German or English from a sworn translator.
- 1-2 pages summary of your Master´s thesis (or similar academic thesis, e.g. a Diploma thesis)
- 2 letters of recommendation from university professors, former employers or project partners
- Proof of English proficiency and possible Excemptions
- Signed Declaration whether more than one application to get permission to the final examination for a doctoral degree was unsuccessful or was cancelled because of an attempt to deceive or a doctoral degree was disqualified because of an attempt to deceive AND sworn declaration about any earlier applications to get permission to the final examination for a doctoral degree and the outcome
Once you have these documents ready, kindly register to our online portal and submit your complete application.