Contact: Building 3E - Room 2.22
T +49 (0) 355 69-4043
Consultation Hours: Tuesdays, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Research Interests: Computational Economics, Operations Research and Complex Systems Analysis
10/2014 - present: Research assistant at the Chair of Energy Economics, BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg
09/2019 - 10/2019: Research visit, Institute for Integrated Energy Systems, University of Victoria (UVic), Canada
09/2013 - 10/2013: Internship at German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin), Department: Energy, Transportation, Environment
08/2013 - 10/2014: Student assistant at the Chair of Energy Economics, BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg
10/2012 - 10/2014: Master degree in power engineering, BTU. Master thesis «Modelling of European natural gas market»
07/2011 - 08/2011: Internship at concern «City Thermal Grid», Ukraine
06/2010 - 07/2010: Internship at JSC «Zaporizhstal», Ukraine
09/2008 - 05/2012: Studies of Engineering, Zaporizhzhia State Engineering Academy, Ukraine
Awards and Grants
2020 Best Paper Award (3rd place) at the 17th International Conference on the European Energy Market (EEM20), Sweden, 09/2020 (paper title: 'Regret analysis of investment decisions under uncertainty in an integrated energy system'; co-authored with T. Möbius)
11/2018 – 09/2020 Postgraduate scholarship, GradV (PhD degree at BTU CS)
2014 Rheinstahl foundation study scholarship (Master degree at BTU CS)
2013 STIBET study scholarship, DAAD (Master degree at BTU CS)
2010 Scholarship from Zaporizhia city administration (Bachelor degree at ZSEA)
|Peer-reviewed journal articles|
- European gas infrastructure Expansion Planning: an adaptive robust optimization approach, Riepin, I., Schmidt, M., Baringo, L., Müsgens, F., Forthcoming
- Risk aversion in flexible electricity markets, Möbius, T., Riepin, I., Müsgens, F., Adriaan H. van der Weijde, Forthcoming
- Policy choices and outcomes for the global competitive procurement of offshore wind, Jansen, M., Beiter, P., Riepin, I., Müsgens, F. Juarez Guajardo-Fajardo, V., Staffell, I., Bulder, B., Kitzing, L., In review
- The Energy Journal (2022). Seasonal flexibility in the European natural gas market. [preprint], Riepin, I., Müsgens, F., DOI: 10.5547/01956574.43.1.irie | GitHub, Cambridge Working Papers in Economics (2019, DOI: 10.17863/CAM.43923 | Abstract | Non-Technical Summary | PDF
- Applied Energy (2021). Combining uncertainty with electricity and gas sector coupling – worth the effort? Riepin, I., Möbius, T., Müsgens, F., DOI: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.116363 | GitHub, Working paper at arXiv (2020), DOI: arxiv.org/abs/2008.07221
- Nature Energy (2020). Offshore wind competitiveness in mature markets without subsidy. Jansen, M., Staffell, I., Kitzing, L., Quoilin, S., Wiggelinkhuizen, E., Bulder, B., Riepin, I., Müsgens, F., DOI: 10.1038/s41560-020-0661-2 | Code | Supplementary data | Nature Energy News & Views | Media coverage: 118 news stories from 116 outlets
|(Peer-reviewed) conference articles|
- Regret analysis of investment decisions under uncertainty in an integrated energy system., Möbius, T., Riepin, I., IEEE conference proceedings EEM (2020), DOI: 10.1109/EEM49802.2020.9221935
- Integrated electricity and gas market modeling – effects of gas demand uncertainty. Riepin, I., Möbius, T., Müsgens, F., IEEE conference proceedings EEM (2018), DOI: 10.1109/EEM.2018.8469790 | preprint version | Video
- Is offshore already competitive? Analyzing German offshore wind auctions., Müsgens, F., Riepin, I., IEEE conference proceedings EEM (2018), DOI: 10.1109/EEM.2018.8469851 | preprint version | Video
- Modelling of world LNG market development: focus on US investments and supplies., Montenegro, R., Riepin, I., Hauser, P., IEEE conference proceedings EEM (2016) | DOI: 10.1109/EEM.2016.7521361
- The era of ‘negative-subsidy’ offshore wind power has almost arrived., Riepin, I., Jansen, M., Staffell, I., Müsgens, F., Guest post at CarbonBrief (2020) | Link
- Offshore-Windenergie - subventionsfrei?, Müsgens, F. and Riepin, I., Guest post at e|m|w.trends (2020) | Link
- A note on climate policy negotiations at the threshold of COP-21 in Paris. , Müsgens, F., Poudineh, R., Riepin, I., Note of Oxford Institute for Energy Studies and BTU CS (2015), PDF
- Usage of solar energy for heating service and domestic water heating., Riepin, I., VII all-Ukrainian scientific conference proceedings. ZSEA. Vol. 2, pp. 78 - 83. (2011)
- Ukrainian market prospects in the field of alternative energy sources., Riepin, I., The graduate students conference proceedings. ZSEA. pp. 186 - 192. (2011)
European Natural Gas Infrastructure Expansion Planning: An Adaptive Robust Optimization Approach
PDF @ EWI Cologne & BTU CS Research seminars 2021
PDF @ European Conference on Operational Research, Athens, Greece, 2021
The costs of ignoring uncertainty and the value of perfect information: a toy model.
Robust optimization of electricity system expansion.
Economic impacts of uncertainty in integrated electricity and gas markets.
- PDF @ 30th European Conference on Operational Research, Dublin, Ireland, 2019
Integrated electricity and gas market modelling – effects of gas demand uncertainty.
Integration of electricity and gas market models.
- PDF @Energy modelling seminar, IER, Universität Stuttgart, 2018
Application of non-linear and complementarity problems for natural gas market modelling.
- PDF @ Research seminar with chair of Mathematical Economics, BTU CS, 2017
- PDF @ Internal research seminar, BTU CS, 2016
Natural Gas Storages in Competition with Alternative Flexibility Sources.
- PDF @ 39th IAEE International Conference, Bergen, Norway, 2016
- PDF @ PhD seminar Cottbus-Leipzig-Dresden, 2016
Prospects for Shale Gas Exploration in Europe: Ongoing Experience.
- PDF@38th IAEE International Conference, Antalya, Turkey, 2015
Modelling of European natural gas market. Mathematical modelling workshop for a gas trading utility, Frankfurt am Main, 13.02.2015
TransHyDE: System analysis of transport solutions for green hydrogen
Funding: BMBF (Federal Ministry of Education and Research). Link
Auktionsdesign für Marktprämien für die Onshore-Windgeneration: theoretische und experimentelle Tests
Fundamental gas market analysis for a gas trading utility in a context of the German energy transition process.
"Strategy 2020”: Development of a middle-term natural gas market forecast for a gas trading utility.
Bachelor-/Master Theses supervised
An effect of rolling-horizon on price estimators in optimization models of electricity market. (Master thesis)
- Modelling a multi-price capacity market mechanism promoting flexibility in a power market with high shares of renewable energy (Master Thesis)
- An Overview of Mechanisms for a Global Climate Agreement against Climate Change (Bachelor Thesis)
- Potential von LNG in Europa (Bachelor Thesis)
- Modelling of global natural gas market utilizing non-linear programing (Master Thesis)