In many of today's economical systems the awareness of sustainability issues is still too low. In order to preserve our planet earth for this and future generations it is essential to use finite and regenerative resources as well as human labor in a sensible way. In the Collaborative Research Center SFB-1026, scientists from the production engineering and environmental technologies will thus work together with economists and mathematicians to address the question of how global production and economical operations can be carried out in a sustainable way. Their goal is to develop new virtual and real production processes that demonstrate the supremacy of sustainable methods over consumption-based ones.
In this project (A6 - Optimization and System Dynamics) we consider the transition of today's dominant, consumption-oriented economical systems into sustainable ones. This leads to mathematical models, which are referred to as continuous, deterministic dynamical systems. They are typically described by ordinary differential equations over time. They describe how a system behaves starting from a given initial condition within a specified time period. As part of the SFB we will develop models with the scientists from the other institutions, which describe the transition from unsustainable to sustainable economical and production system.
These models contain a number of parameters that represent external adjustment, which have counterparts in the real world (e.g., prices, taxes, or incentives). To find out the best-possible settings of the adjustment variables with respect to some sustainability indicators, methods of linear and mixed-integer nonlinear optimization will be applied.
For further information see SFB-1026 web page .
- Zuse Institute Berlin
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft DFG, Collaborative Research Center SFB-1026.
- Optimizing Discrete and Continuous Problems Over Time, Magdeburg Lectures on Optimization and Control (MALOC), Magdeburg, Germany, 14.11.2013.
- Optimizing Discrete and Continuous Problems Over Time, Discrete Optimization Seminar, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 2.8.2013.
- A Global Approach to the Optimal Control of System Dynamics Models, 31st International Conference on System Dynamics, Cambrige, Massachusetts, USA, 23.7.2013.
- Ingmar Vierhaus, Armin Fügenschuh, Robert L. Gottwald, Stefan N. Grösser, Modern Nonlinear Optimization Techniques for an Optimal Control of System Dynamics Models , ZIB Technical Report ZR-14-08, 2014.
- Armin Fügenschuh, Stefan N. Grösser, Ingmar Vierhaus, A Global Approach to the Control of an Industry Structure System Dynamics Model , ZIB Technical Report ZR-13-67, 2013.
- Armin Fügenschuh, Ingmar Vierhaus, System Dynamic Optimization in the Sustainability Assessment of a World-Model , Proceedings of the 11th Global Conference on Sustainable Manufacturing, Universitätsverlag der TU Berlin, pp. 582-587, 2013. (Also available as ZIB Technical Report ZR-13-23 , 2013.)
- Achim Brose, Armin Fügenschuh, Pia Gausemeier, Ingmar Vierhaus, Günther Seliger, A System Dynamic Enhancement for the Scenario Technique , Proceedings of the 11th Global Conference on Sustainable Manufacturing, Universitätsverlag der TU Berlin, pp. 613-618, 2013. (Also available as ZIB Technical Report ZR-13-24 , 2013.)
- René Scheumann, Ingmar Vierhaus, Ya-Ju Chang, Armin Fügenschuh, Matthias Finkbeiner, Identification of trade-offs for sustainable manufacturing of a Bamboo Bike by System Dynamics, Proceedings of the 27th Conference on Environmental Informatics - Informatics for Environmental Protection, Sustainable Development and Risk Management, Shaker Verlag Aachen, pp. 523 - 531, 2013. (Also available as ZIB Technical Report ZR-13-32 , 2013.)
- Armin Fügenschuh, Ingmar Vierhaus, A Global Approach to the Optimal Control of System Dynamics Models , Proceedings of the 31st International Conference of the System Dynamics Society, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, July 21-25, 2013. (Also available as ZIB Technical Report ZR-13-28 , 2013.)
- René Scheumann, Armin Fügenschuh, Sebastian Schenker, Ingmar Vierhaus, Ralf Borndörfer, Matthias Finkbeiner, Global Manufacturing: How to Use Mathematical Optimisation Methods to Transform to Sustainable Value Creation, Proceedings of the 10th Global Conference on Sustainable Manufacturing, pp. 538 - 545, 2012. (Also available as ZIB Technical Report ZR-12-28 , 2012.)