Authentication of domestic official documents for use abroad - Apostille/ Legalisation

Domestic (in this case, German) official documents, which are intended for use abroad, might not be recognised by all foreign states. Because of this, a consular certification is often required. 

Usually, the authentication is given on the original document, but it is also possible with a copy. If possible, when you are still in Germany, please figure out which types of certificates obtained at BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg are accepted in the country where you would like to apply.


The apostille is the most common contractual agreement between countries. It is issued for a specific country and thus, is only recognised by that country. 

To request an apostille, please submit the following documents to the International Relations Office (contact data on the right):

1. Fully completed Portables Dokumentenformat application form from BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg
2. The original documents to be certified (certificates, transcripts of records etc.)
3. Fully completed Portables Dokumentenformat application form from the state capital of Potsdam

The apostille will be issued in a two-step procedure. Processing time is at least 14 days, so please plan accordingly. 

Your documents and the invoice will be sent to you directly by post from the state capital of Potsdam. At the moment, the fee is 28 € per document and must be paid in advance. 

Legalisation (end authentication) 

For countries which have not signed on to the agreement concerning the acceptance of apostilles, you must submit your documents, including the completed Portables Dokumentenformat application form to the 
Bundesverwaltungsamt, Referat ZMV II 6 - Beglaubigungen, 50728 Köln
following the same procedure as described above (as is the case of apostilles).

The fee is currently 25 € per document plus an additional 2 € for delivery to a German address (in this case, the 28 € fee per document charged by the state capital of Potsdam will not be incurred). 

Afterwards, the documents will then be endorsed by the embassy/ consulate of the respective country.