Career in Science

If you would like to continue working in science you can apply for a postdoctoral position or a position as academic staff member in a research project at BTU. Vacancies are announced in the BTU vacancies portal.

Furthermore, you can also apply for your own research position e.g. funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) in the programme module “Temporary Positions for Principal Investigators”.

If you are seeking other financing options for the financing of your postdoctoral phase, our research funding advisors offer help in finding suitable funding programmes and in the application for research plans and projects.

If you already know that you would like to continue your path to professorship in Germany after your doctoral studies you may also proceed to the habilitation qualification.

The habilitation proves that you have the ability to independently represent a scientific subject in research and teaching (official qualification to teach). This is still the classic path for fulfilling the requirements for applying for and being appointed a professor.  

For details on the requirements for acceptance into and completion of the habilitation process, please see your faculty’s habilitation regulation.

Furthermore, The German Association of University Professors and Lecturers (DHV)offers individual coaching for the preparation for appointment negotiations for new professors.

This website uses cookies. Those have two functions: On the one hand they are providing basic functionality for this website. On the other hand they allow us to improve our content for you by saving and analyzing anonymized user data. You can redraw your consent to using these cookies at any time. Find more information regarding cookies on our Data Protection Declaration and regarding us on the Imprint.


These cookies are needed for a smooth operation of our website.


Name Purpose Lifetime Type Provider
_pk_id Used to store a few details about the user such as the unique visitor ID. 13 months HTML Matomo
_pk_ref Used to store the attribution information, the referrer initially used to visit the website. 6 months HTML Matomo
_pk_ses Short lived cookie used to temporarily store data for the visit. 30 minutes HTML Matomo