In the framework of the new scholarship programme of the Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF), the BTU Cottbus has been awarding students with the so-called “Deutschlandstipendium” since the summer term of 2011.
Basic features of the scholarship programme
- Matching funds principle: 50:50 financial support from third-parties and a federal grant (BMBF)
- Scholarship funds are raised by the university through donations from companies, foundations, and private persons; the federal government contributes an additional 150 €, leading to a standard scholarship rate of 300 € per month.
- In the final stage of the scholarship’s development, 8% of a university’s students should be able to receive a scholarship. It is intended for there to be a gradual increase. The programme started in the summer term of 2011 with financial support available for a maximum of 0.45% of the total student body.
- Private donations may be appropriated to specific purposes (e.g. by naming a study programme), however, these appropriated donations may only make up 2/3 of the new scholarships to be awarded in a calendar year while the remaining 1/3 may not be bound to specific study programmes.
- Minimum scholarship period is 1 year; maximum = normal study period, as fixed in the study regulations.
- The scholarship is awarded based on students’ aptitude, merit, and dedication.
- Income does not play a role in the awarding of the scholarship. The scholarship will not offset BAföG and does not need to be paid back.
- A selection committee chooses the scholarship recipients.
Scholarships will not be awarded to:
- students holding scholarships from the Begabtenförderungswerke (German sponsorship organisation for the academically gifted) or DAAD (German academic exchange service), unless the merit-based grant for material support does not exceed 30 € per month.
The deadline for application for a Deutschlandstipendium for the winter semester 2019/20 was in July 2019. The scholarships for the winter semester 2019/20 will be awarded during the ceremonial opening of the new academic year on 30 September 2019.
The BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg awards the Deutschlandstipendium solely every winter semester. The call for application for a scholarship for the winter semester 2020/21 will be expected at the earliest in June 2020.
Information for scholarship holders
|ARCUS Planung + Beratung Bauplanungsgesellschaft mbH|
|BASF Schwarzheide GmbH|
|Deutsche Bahn AG|
|DB Privat- und Firmenkundenbank AG|
|envia Mitteldeutsche Energie AG (enviaM)|
|Herr Ulrich Freese|
|Institut für Umwelttechnik und Recycling Senftenberg e.V.|
|LEAG - Lausitz Energie Bergbau AG & Lausitz Energie Kraftwerke AG|
|PSD Bank Berlin-Brandenburg eG|
|Rotary Club Cottbus|
|Stiftung der BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg|
|TRUMPF Sachsen GmbH|
|VDE Verband der Elektrotechnik Elektronik Informationstechnik e.V.|