The basicdebating training is aimed at employees and students of the BTU who would like to learn how to debate. The goal of the basic training is to be able to present one's own arguments convincingly and to deal with contradiction productively. Both argumentation and assertiveness skills are promoted. You will practice listening attentively to one another and specifically picking up on the arguments presented by others.
The basic training will take place on Saturday, June 3, 2023, in Bühne 8. The first block will be held in German, 9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. The second block will be held in English, 1:30 p.m. - 5 p.m.
The basic training will be professionally accompanied by master debate trainer Calyxx Peucker (DebateConsult).
No previous experience is required to participate in the basic course - all you need is curiosity and a little courage.
Focus of the basic training:
- Basics of debating
- Finding valid arguments and testing them for relevance
- Building arguments coherently and convincingly
- Refuting and invalidating arguments
- Topic-based argumentation exercises
- Forming teams for debates
- Preparing and conducting two debates if possible
- Detailed feedback
- Wednesday, 7.6.2023, 6 p.m. - 9 p.m., Debate training evening with Calyxx Peucker (Language: German)
- Wednesday, 6/14/2023, 6 p.m. - 9 p.m., Debate training evening with Calyxx Peucker (Language: English).
- The highlight of the semester is the public summer barbecue debate on July 5, 2023!
More info and registration at
The event will take place as a face-to-face workshop and will be divided into a German-speaking (9 am - 12:30 pm) and an English-speaking (1:30 pm - 5 pm) part. Participation is free of charge, registration is requested.