Corona/Entry from abroad

Show all answers
Hide all answers
  • Where can I get tested for Corona?

    Test centres for free antigen rapid tests as well as current information can be found on the homepage of the city of  Cottbus or Senftenberg. Find an overview of all test centres in Brandenburg here.

  • What pandemic-related restrictions are there on the entry of researchers from third countries?

    On the basis of a recommendation by the Council of the EU, the Federal Cabinet decided at the beginning of July 2020 to gradually lift the travel restrictions from third countries to Germany that have been in force since March 2020 (link to the press release of the BMI). Since then, in addition to persons from third countries on a regularly updated positive list (see link below to the list of countries), foreign experts and highly qualified workers, among others, can also enter Germany if their employment is necessary from an economic perspective and their work cannot be postponed or carried out abroad. The exception category "skilled and highly qualified workers" now explicitly covers the possibility of entry under the above-mentioned conditions also for those researchers who enter the country only for short stays or from another EU member state with a Schengen visa.

    The following regulations apply to researchers and teaching staff:

    Doctoral students in this application category generally do not require a certificate of economic necessity, as they are comparable to students in this respect. For researchers, economic necessity is generally assumed if the research activity is carried out at a recognized research institution. State and state-recognized universities as well as other research institutions whose activities are mainly financed by public funds are considered recognized research institutions. If, on the other hand, the research is carried out at a commercial enterprise, the employer must still provide credible evidence of the economic necessity. In the case of teaching staff, economic necessity can also be assumed.

    In all of the above cases, proof of the requirement for presence in Germany is a prerequisite for entry (e.g. submission of the employment contract, the hosting agreement or the letter of invitation from the university/research institution). In addition, in the case of short-term stays, it must be credibly demonstrated that the intended research activity cannot be carried out in the same way via online formats (e.g. video conferences).

    Status of HRK information: 30 October 2020

    List of countries of the Federal Ministry of the Interior (BMI), section "Travel restrictions

  • Can I get a letter of entry?

    Yes! All admitted international applicants can receive such a letter ("Bestätigung über die Notwendigkeit der Anwesenheit in Deutschland zum Zweck des Studiums") upon request. Please send a request to  international+studentsupport(at)

  • My course of studies will be offered online in the winter semester 2021/2022. Should I apply for a visa now or wait?

    As long as the pandemic situation in your home country guarantees safe travel and you can comply with the quarantine regulations, you are welcome to come to Germany - even if your courses are online. The BTU sees itself as an in-person university and will take further steps into in-person teaching.

    We would recommend that you take care of your visa and entry as soon as possible. Many embassies and consulates have only recently reopened and therefore the demand for visa appointments is high. Therefore, the waiting time for an appointment could be a little longer than usual. In any case, please ask the embassy or consulate in your country directly.

    In the following English-language international degree programmes degree programmes, the BTU will predominantly offer online or hybrid courses:

    • Cyber Security
    • Environmental and Resource Management
    • Heritage Conservation and Site Management
    • Physics
    • Power Engineering
    • Urban Design - Revitalization of Historic City Districts
    • World Heritage Studies (parallel online and face-to-face)
    • TFM-ASA
    • Euro Hydroinformatics and Water Management
  • The embassy in my country is still closed or has very long waiting times. I cannot arrive in time for the winter semester 2021/2022. What can I do?

    Please take a look at the FAQ: Do I have to be present at the BTU at the beginning of the lecture period? / Will my course of studies be offered online? to find out whether your course of study is offered online.

    The BTU sees itself as an in-person university and plans to resume regular courses starting from winter semester in October 2021.

    Especially the German-language degree programmes will increasingly take place in-person. It is recommended that you arrive at the latest at the beginning of the lecture period. If this is not possible for you due to the current pandemic restrictions, you can also start online and join on site later, but you will have to complete some study content in the next semester. At the latest, you must be on campus by the exam dates of the 2022 winter semester.

    The English-language international degree programmes will mainly take place in online or hybrid forms. If no attendance is required, you can arrive later and still have time to apply for your visa. If your degree programme is offered in hybrid form, i.e. with online and in-person elements, and you are unlikely to be able to arrive during the semester, it may be advisable to postpone your studies until the next semester, see FAQ: What happens if I cannot enrol for the winter semester 2021/2022?

  • There are no travel restrictions between my country and Germany. Can I come to Cottbus?

    Please always check the websites of the German Embassy in your home country for the current entry regulations and any quarantine regulations. In general: If it is possible for you, you are welcome to come to the BTU, even if you will be studying mainly online in the first phase. The library is open and, while adhering to the Corona rules, you can already get to know your place of study and meet fellow students.

  • What do I have to consider when entering Germany from abroad?

    Please note the following leaflet with detailed information on entry requirements and useful advice:Leaflet Entry and Quarantine.

    Since 1 August 2021, the new Ordinance on Coronavirus Entry Regulations has uniformly regulated entry requirements throughout Germany for people who have been in a corona risk area in the last ten days prior to entry.

    As of 1 August 2021, all travellers entering the country, irrespective of whether or not they spent time in a high-risk area or area of variants of concern, are obligated upon entry to present proof of the absence of infection with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus (test result or proof of vaccination or recovery). The stringent obligation for persons entering the country to undergo testing following a stay in an area of variants of concern remains in effect.

    The proof can be requested by the Federal Police or by the competent authority during the control of cross-border traffic to Germany. Air travellers must present one of the above-mentioned proofs before departure.

    If you travel with a proof of vaccination, the complete vaccination against the SARS-CoV-2 virus must have taken place at least 14 days ago and must have been carried out with a vaccine approved in the European Union.

    Furthermore, people entering the country from a risk area must register via a digital entry form:

    Travellers from Corona high-risk areas must go into quarantine for 10 days. There is no quarantine obligation, if you submit a proof of immunity, vaccination, or the negative test certificate directly to the local health department upon arrival. Without proof of recovery or vaccination, you can leave quarantine after day 5 with a negative Corona test.

    Persons arriving from a virus variant area, even if fully vaccinated, must immediately enter a 14-day quarantine period. This duration cannot be shortened.

    If you need to quarantine, you must immediately go directly to your own home or other suitable accommodations upon arrival in Germany and remain permanently isolated there for the corresponding time.

    International corona risk areas are published by the Robert Koch Institute on the following page: Link.

    You are obliged to contact the responsible health department immediately after entering the country from a risk area:

    • Cottbus

    Health Department for Suspected Corona Cases and Quarantine Issues:
    0355 612-3200
    (Monday to Friday from 08:00 until 16:00
    Saturday and Sunday from 09:00 until 15:00)
    E-Mail: gesundheitsamt(at)

    • Senftenberg

    Health Department Senftenberg

    03573 870-4301

    (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:00 until 14:00
    Tuesday from 8:00 until 18:00

    Thursday from 8:00 until 17:00)
    E-Mail: gesundheitsamt(at)

    The International Relations Office recommends the following procedure to all international students, doctoral candidates, and researchers entering from a risk area: Leaflet Entry and Quarantine.

  • Information on the German regulations concerning the handling of the Coronavirus

    Information on the German regulations for handling the coronavirus and especially on how to behave in public places can be found here.

  • Where can I get information on the Corona situation in Germany?

    A good compilation of the known facts about the corona virus can be found on the website of the Robert Koch Institute. Here you can also use a tool to find out your local health authority.

    The following contact page has been set up for details provided by the BTU:

  • Is there information about COVID-19 in English?

    The city of Cottbus has set up a hotline where people who don't speak German can get in touch. Arabic, Persian, Russian and English are available.

    This service is available on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 12 noon and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and on Fridays from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

    The number of the hotline is 0355 / 612 4000.

    General information collection City of Cottbus
    Information about the Corona Virus City of Cottbus

  • Is there a Corona APP in Germany?

    Yes, the Corona-Warn-App helps us to find out whether we have come into contact with an infected person and whether there is a risk of infection. This way we can interrupt chains of infection more quickly. The app is an offer from the German government. Data generated and gathered by the app is not centrally stored. Download and use of the app is completely voluntary. It is available free of charge in the App Store and can be downloaded from Google Play.

    More information (in German):

    In many locations, the Luca App is used for contact tracking.

  • What can I do if I have had contact with a person infected with the Coronavirus?

    If you have had contact with a person who is confirmed to be infected, contact the responsible health authority immediately and inform the crisis management team via krisenstab+personal(at), giving a telephone number where you can be reached. Stay at home and follow the instructions of the authority. To minimize the risk of infection, do not go to a doctor's office yourself. You can find your local health authority using a tool provided by the RKI:

  • What can I do if I think I have the symptoms of a Coronavirus infection?

    As soon as you notice symptoms common to COVID-19 (fever over 38°C, cough, cold, headache and aching limbs, fatigue as well as scratchy throat, temporary loss of sense of smell and taste), you should isolate yourself at home. Reduce contacts with other people to what is necessary to avoid putting them at risk of infection. Anyone who experiences cold symptoms or other symptoms of COVID-19, has had contact with someone who has tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, or has been in an area at risk should call their family doctor. Do not go to a doctor's office yourself to avoid infecting other people in an emergency, but call the doctor first.

    First you should contact your family doctor, if necessary contact the medical on-call service: 116 117 (

  • How can I extend my visa/residence permit or have its purpose changed?

    The immigration authorities in Berlin, Cottbus and Senftenberg have restricted opening hours. Contact and appointments can be made by request (e.g. e-mail, telephone or online registration).

    Please find information on the respective foreigner's office´s procedures on the following pages:

  • I cannot find my question among the FAQs answered here - what can I do?

    If you could not find the answer to your question on this page, please send an e-mail to internationaladmission(at) The international admissions team will take care of your request!

This website uses cookies. Those have two functions: On the one hand they are providing basic functionality for this website. On the other hand they allow us to improve our content for you by saving and analyzing anonymized user data. You can redraw your consent to using these cookies at any time. Find more information regarding cookies on our Data Protection Declaration and regarding us on the Imprint.


These cookies are needed for a smooth operation of our website.


Name Purpose Lifetime Type Provider
_pk_id Used to store a few details about the user such as the unique visitor ID. 13 months HTML Matomo
_pk_ref Used to store the attribution information, the referrer initially used to visit the website. 6 months HTML Matomo
_pk_ses Short lived cookie used to temporarily store data for the visit. 30 minutes HTML Matomo