Brandenburgsiche Technische Universität Cottbus-Senftenberg (BTU) encourages and requires technical inventions from all university members. Inventions can be protected as patents. Patents are an expression of technical performance and support knowledge creation and dissemination, profile building, image building, transparency and negotiating power of our university. Only through professional patent management can the university secure and develop its technical knowledge in the long term. The patent strategy and guidelines for handling technical inventions at BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg are the basis for the exploitation of ideas and inventions made by BTU scientists. The strategy is an important part of technology transfer. For companies, the acquisition of rights through purchase or licensing provides access to exclusive and protected knowledge.
The Patents and Licenses Department provides scientists with information on property rights and accepts invention disclosures in accordance with the disclosure requirements of §5 of the German Employee Invention Act (Arbeitnehmererfindungsgesetz).
The department provides the following services in the context of patent exploitation:
- Initial and introductory consultation of professors, employees and students of the BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg on questions of patenting and the protection of intellectual property.
- Development of an intellectual property strategy and economic exploitation of the intellectual property rights of BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg.
- Administration of all internal university procedures in the area of patents and intellectual property rights.
- Advising start-ups from the BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg on how to secure their own research and development results through industrial property rights and how to use them.
- Advising companies and start-ups on the use of industrial property rights of the BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg.