The chair of Computer networks and communication systems is part of the Institute of Computer Science at the faculty of Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (MINT) at the Brandenburg University of Technology Cottbus - Senftenberg. The chair was founded in 1993 by Prof. Hartmut König and was headed by Prof. Oliver Hohlfeld from April 2019 to September 2022.
Our research and teaching activities are concerned with the design principles of modern communication systems and distributed applications as well as the security of computer networks and communication systems as their technical basis. Core aspects of our research are:
- Internet Data Science: Large-scale analysis of the Internet using by data science methods
- Internet Security: Empirical analysis of Internet security and methods to improve Internet security (e.g. anomaly detection / DDoS protection)
- Social networks: Investigation of communication characteristics of social networks and methods for improving security
- Internet Architecture: Investigation of design principles of the future Internet
- Industrial Networks: Investigation and optimisation of industrial communication networks
Quality of Experience: Investigation of the perceived quality of Internet services by means of psychological user studies
We actively research in these areas, conduct research projects, and offer theses to students. To learn about our work, please check out our research and publications pages.