Situated in the heart of the Lausitz region, BTU combines outstanding international research with future-oriented teaching. It makes an important contribution to society, our culture and the economy through knowledge and technology transfer and with further education. BTU is a University of Technology with a strong focus on innovation and sustainability. The combination of basic and application-oriented research results in solutions that are in demand worldwide in the key areas environment, energy, materials, construction, health, information and communication technology.
Our university wants to make a contribution towards making tomorrow's world a better place. The research institutes, the administration team and all departments of Brandenburgische Technische Universität Cottbus–Senftenberg (BTU) work closely together towards this goal. With interdisciplinary research, innovative teaching, knowledge and technology transfer and further education, BTU is looking for solution approaches that solve international as well as national and regional problems. These include challenges in the areas of energy, healthcare, environment, IT-based networks and communication and also cultural and social issues.
BTU offers flexible career paths that meet the individual needs in an increasingly rapidly changing world. Our outstandingly supportive supervision and the international and close-knit life on campus create a motivating and creative studying and working environment.
We are committed to our social duty to act responsibly with respect to research, teaching and knowledge and technology transfer.
Our interdisciplinary dialogue in the areas of engineering, the natural and the social sciences and the humanities promotes creativity and unlocks new solutions.
- A willingness to work hard, enthusiasm for learning and a commitment to successful research, teaching, knowledge and technology transfer,
- a culture of respectful discussion and dedicated participation in change processes,
- an attitude that is characterised by mutual support, friendly exchange, fairness, a sense of responsibility, appreciation, respect and a community spirit,
- proactivity and creativity in all areas of our university,
- a perspective that equates individual success with the success of our university,
- a management and supervision culture that promotes equal opportunities and the creative drive behind our research, teaching and governance,
- the recognition and appreciation of diversity as well as all family constellations in our society,
- healthy, health promoting and almost fully accessible employment and studying conditions,
- a good work, life and study balance,
- transparency, efficiency and innovativeness in structures and processes,
- further education as an element of personal development and skills promotion,
- a successful gender equality strategy in all status groups,
- sustainable and environmentally friendly development in accordance with our environmental guidelines that focus on coming generations and
- international dialogue as a prerequisite for research and innovation.
The future fields defined in the development plan for our university consolidate its existing research potentials. We are also open-minded towards ground-breaking research in other fields. In certain disciplines, we also intend to be one of the leading universities on the basis of excellent basic and applied research. As a small technical university, we are committed to promoting the establishment of cross-faculty and inter university networks as well as the development of interdisciplinary research projects that serve civil purposes. Our university's locations lie in a region defined by structural change. We develop solution approaches locally for which there is an international demand.
In order to achieve our aims, we support young scientists and offer attractive and equal opportunities to promote their professional and personal development. Our university has also established a service-oriented framework to support our scientists.
We see ourselves as a driver for the innovations that promote the Lausitz region's development. The exchange of knowledge, resources and expertise means an ongoing dialogue process with our regional as well as our national and international partners that focuses particularly on current and future social challenges. Our students and young academics obtain employment market relevant qualifications and are given active support as they take on their first positions or decide to set up a business. Our university is a place for lifelong learning. It offers interested people of all ages as well as the university members a wide choice of further education opportunities. Our dedicated approach results in long-term ties with our alumni and former university members.
Our modern and excellently equipped university offers unique courses of study and further study to students from around the globe who are willing to learn and work hard. These courses are the basis for successfully obtaining degrees that meet the demands of the regional, national and international employment market. We make research, technology and practice enjoyable experiences and do our utmost to help our students to become open-minded and discerning academics with a sense of social responsibility. We see ourselves as a campus-based university with three locations, which allows us to meet the needs of our students. At our university, the dialogue between the students and those who teach them is ongoing and intensive.
We stand for scientific and didactic teaching of a high standard. Our innovative, extremely accessible teaching concept is completed by university preparation courses, careers advice and skills promotion offers.
Our administration team members see themselves as customer-oriented service providers and advise our university's departments on legal, personal and financial matters. As we have adapted our procedures to new structures and use modern IT systems, the administration process is organised in a way that provides optimum and efficient support to the different departments and the various other areas of the university. This allows the scientists and students to concentrate on their research, teaching and studies.
We believe that joint activities such as the participation in our sports, music, cultural and creative offers are an important part of campus life.
We consider the way we see ourselves outlined above to be the basis for ongoing discourse and our ongoing inspiration.