Welcome and Registration Point for international students

Our Welcome and Registration Point supports you with the enrollment process and with your start at BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg: Meet or chat with BTU students, find a BTU Buddy and get all the relevant information about the enrolment as well as your first steps in Cottbus and Senftenberg after enrolment.

18 September till 27 October 2023:
on campus Cottbus
main campus, main building, room 4.29, Mon till Thu, 10 am - 3 pm; Fr 10 am - 12 pm (CET)
on campus Senftenberg
main building, room 2.205, Tue and Thu, 10 am - 3 pm (CET)
BTU Info Sessions for First-Year Students

What’s it about?

In our BTU Info Sessions, we will give you useful tips on how to prepare for your studies in Germany. In addition, you can ask your questions in the chat feature and these will all be answered individually...

Questions such as...

  • How does enrolment at BTU work?
  • Which documents do I have to submit?
  • When do I get my Student ID Card?
  • ...and much more!

What are the topics?

  • Entry/Visa
  • Housing
  • Financing
  • Arrival
  • Enrolment
  • Student Life
  • Start of your Studies

Who are these sessions for?

These sessions are for all prospective BTU students, who have already received an admission letter from the BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg.

When and where?

  • dates to be released
  • via Cisco WebEx
  • Information on how to gain access to these sessions will be forwarded to all admitted BTU students via E-Mail, just a few days before
Fill in the online application of enrolment form via myBTU
  • Please click on request of enrollment in your myBTU-Portal, as soon as you received an admission letter
  • Fill in the application of enrolment form and print it off
  • Sign the application of enrolment form and scan it in or photograph it

If you are not sure how to fill out the online enrolment form at myBTU portal, watch the video using this link.

Forward your application of enrolment form & additional documents

Upload the documents required for enrolment in your myBTU-portal in the corresponding upload field (see below). This needs to be done no later than October 30, 2023!

Mandatory documents
Enrolment application with your original signature
(download available in application overview of your myBTU-Portal)
Signed enrolment application
Passport (or ID card for EU citizens), both sidesOther documents
Valid Visa or Residence Permit with Zusatzblatt (if applicaple)Other documents
Completed Emergency Contact FormOther documents
Additional documents, if applicable
Missing document according to letter of admission (e.g. proof of language proficiency)Conditions according to letter of admission
Degree certicate (if listed as missing document in letter of admission)Certficate and transcript of the bachelor’s or higher degree
Complete CV/Resume in tabular form (if not submitted with the application)Other documents
Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung (exmatriculation certificate, if you were already enroled at a German university before)Certificate of withdrawal from the last university attended with details of the university and programme-related semesters
Unbedenklichkeitsbescheinigung (proof of right to take examination, if you were already enrolled in a comparable subject at a German university)Clearance certificate (proof of the right to examination after discontinuing a previous university degree in Germany)    
Letter of award from a scholarship provider (only if you receive a scholarship that is financed in whole or in part by German public funds)Other documents
Miscellaneous Documents
Additional documents that you consider as relevant for your enrolment (e.g. proof of health insurance, proof of payment of the semester fee)Other documents

Good to know: We will inform you by e-mail as soon as we have checked your uploaded documents. In case documents are missing or have not been submitted in the right form, you will have the possibility to submit them later.

Also Important: Your Health Insurance

You need a health insurance to enroll at the BTU. Information on the health insurance policies accepted for enrolment in Germany can be found here.

Pay your semester fees
  • Please pay the semester fee as soon as you have submitted your online enrollment application. You will also find all the relevant information on transferring the semester fee on your enrolment form.

Please note:

The university cannot cover any additional costs incurred by transferring the fees from abroad. Please also note the current exchange rate.

The semester fees do not necessarily have to be transferred from your account. There is for instance the possibility that someone else transfers your semester fees for you. The payment reference (the student code) is decisive so that we can assign the payment to the correct student. You can find your payment reference on your enrollment application.

Health insurance

You need health insurance to enrol at the BTU. Information on health insurance accepted for studying in Germany as well as exemption options for private insurance can be found here.

Participate in the Online Info Sessions / Consultations of BTU's health partners

Info Session "Welcome to Germany - good things to know!" (English) by Techniker Krankenkasse. Register via this link:https://online-terminvergabe-techniker.de/Portal/Event/XVRSFX
The info sessions will take place once every week from 12  to 1 pm (CET). Please register for your preferred slot.
Individual Online-Consultation by Techniker Krankenkasse: central contact person is Jörg Militzer ( joerg.militzer(at)tk.de)
Online Info Sessions for health insurance by AOK Nordost
08th February English:https://myconvento.com/public/event_register/do_register/5299966
14th February German:https://myconvento.com/public/event_register/do_register/5300008
Individual consultation by AOK Nordost: central contact person is Anke Lanzky (anke.lanzky(at)nordost.aok.de)
Apply for a student dormitory

Apply early for a place in a hall of residence, as the "first come, first serve principle" applies -> you can find all further information here.

Visit our Welcome & Registration Point

Via our Welcome & Registration Point you can talk and chat with our international tutors. There we will welcome you on site in Cottbus and Senftenberg from 18th September 2023. In addition, we will also support you remotely in our online consultation session.

Welcome und Registration Point18 September till 27 October 2023
On Campus
  • Cottbus: main campus, main building, room 4.29
    Mon till Thu, 10 - 15; Fr 10 - 12 (CET)
  • Senftenberg: main building, room 2.205
    Tue and Thu, 10 am - 3 pm (CET)
Pick up your Student ID (Chip Card)

As soon as your enrollment is complete, you can pick up your Student ID (Chip Card) in Cottbus or Senftenberg. You will also be informed about this by Email. If you have any questions about the status of your enrollment or your student ID, please contact the Admissions & Registrar's Office.

Please remember to enroll before you arrive in Cottbus or Senftenberg. This is the only way we can ensure that your student ID is ready when you arrive.

Information on starting your semester and events
  • Programme for the BTU introductory programme -> LINK
  • German courses -> LINK
  • Orientation week at the start of the semester -> www.otiwo.de
  • Student Activities Offer from the International Relations Office -> LINK
BTU's digital platforms for study management, course registration, and eLearning

After enrolment you will gain access to BTU's online portals:

1. The myBTU-Portal is BTU's platform for student self-management:

  • View and download you certificates and notifications
  • View information about paying fees
  • Submit applications for leave of absence, removal from the register of students and view their status
  • Change your contact details

2. Students have to register on BTU's eLearning platform Moodle with the BTU-ID and password. The Moodle platform will be used for getting access to individual module related assignments, notes, lectures and updated information by the Professors. The Moodle application can be downloaded on mobile phones, tablets and accessed on desktops.

3. Students have to separately register for individual module examination on BTU Online Portal.

  • Login into the online portal with BTU ID and password.
  • Open registration and deregistration section.
  • Register or de-register for examinations.
  • You will get a confirmation email on your BTU Webmail.
Registering at the City Administration Office

In Germany, all persons who rent an accommodation, as well as all persons who will be residing in Germany for more than three months are obligated to register their address. Within two weeks after your arrival in Cottbus or Senftenberg, you and your family members must register your address at the City Administration Office(Stadtbüro). Due to the fact that religious communities in Germany are allowed to collect church taxes from the authorities, upon registration, you will be asked for your religious affiliation. After registering your address, you will receive an official proof of residence (Meldebescheinigung), which is needed before you can open a bank account.

To register, you will need:

  • Your confirmation by your landlord  (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung)
  • Your passport or ID

City Administration Office Cottbus
The following options are available for making an appointment:

Registration Office Senftenberg
Service hours at the registration office:
Monday: 9-12 I 13-16
Tuesday: 9-12 I 13-18
Thursday: 9-12 I 13-16:30

After city registration, you will receive your Tax Identification Number via post to your German address. The post box should have their full name (Vorname und Nachname) written on it.

Open a bank account

If you plan to live and work in Germany for an extended period of time, receive a salary or scholarship, or need to pay rent, it makes sense for you to open a German bank account. 

For your convenience, there are several types of bank accounts. We recommend a checking account, which means that you will receive a Euro Cheque-card (EC-Card) to use. With an EC-Card, you can withdraw money from ATMs and also use it to pay in supermarkets, stores, Deutsche Bahn ticket machines and most restaurants.

If you want to open a new checking account, you will need to bring the following documents:

  • Passport or equivalent ID
  • Visa
  • Proof of residence (Meldebescheinigung) (from the City Adminstration Office)
  • Current certificate of enrolment
  • Tax identification number (can be submitted later)

In Germany, there are many different state-run (Sparkasse, Volksbank) and private banks for you to choose from. The services offered by these banks are very similar, but there are also some differences. For example, each bank might have different account management fees, offer additional services and either have more or fewer ATMs located throughout Germany.

Apply for a residence permit

For technical reasons, you must wait at least one day after registering your address at the city office before you are allowed to apply for a residence or work permit.

The Foreigners’ Registration Office in Cottbus is located in the same building as the City Administration Office, but on the 2nd floor. Please visit the Foreigners’ Registration Office at least six weeks before your visa expires. If you wish to extend your residence permit, you should apply at least one month before it is set to expire.

Current Information: Due to pandemic reasons, requests can only be processed with an online-appointment. You may also send an E-mail to the Foreigners' Registration Office Cottbus with your request (e.g. apply for a residence permit, extend a residence title) and your desired appointment time to: auslaenderbehoerde(at)cottbus.de.

Please do also have a look at the  guideline on booking an appointment at the foreiger's registration office Cottbus.

When applying for a residence permit for the first time, you should bring the following items:

  • Official proof of residence (Meldebescheinigung) (which you receive upon registering at the City Administration Office)
  • Valid passport or similar ID (must be valid for the entire period of intended stay)
  • Biometric passport photo (35 x 45mm)
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Certificate of enrolment
  • Proof of financing your stay
  • Proof from landlord of sufficient living space (e.g. lease contract)

Electronic Residence Permit (eAT)

Your residence permit is issued as an electronic residence permit (eAT) in the form of a card. After applying for your residence permit, it takes approximately 4 to 6 weeks for it to be issued. Upon receiving a letter by post with your secret PIN number included, you can go to the Foreigners’ Registration Office and pick up your residence permit card.