In the framework of the new scholarship programme of the Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF), the BTU Cottbus has been awarding students with the so-called “Deutschlandstipendium” since the summer term of 2011.
Excerpt from the FAQ of the BMBF homepage on the Germany Scholarship Program
- Matching funds principle: 50:50 financial support from third-parties and a federal grant (BMBF)
- Scholarship funds are raised by the university through donations from companies, foundations, and private persons; the federal government contributes an additional 150 €, leading to a standard scholarship rate of 300 € per month.
- In the final stage of the scholarship’s development, 8% of a university’s students should be able to receive a scholarship. It is intended for there to be a gradual increase. The programme started in the summer term of 2011 with financial support available for a maximum of 0.45% of the total student body.
- Private donations may be appropriated to specific purposes (e.g. by naming a study programme), however, these appropriated donations may only make up 2/3 of the new scholarships to be awarded in a calendar year while the remaining 1/3 may not be bound to specific study programmes.
- Minimum scholarship period is 1 year; maximum = normal study period, as fixed in the study regulations.
- The scholarship is awarded based on students’ aptitude, merit, and dedication.
- Income does not play a role in the awarding of the scholarship. The scholarship will not offset BAföG and
- does not need to be paid back.
- A selection committee chooses the scholarship recipients.
Scholarships will not be awarded to:
- students holding scholarships from the Begabtenförderungswerke (German sponsorship organisation for the academically gifted) or DAAD (German academic exchange service), unless the merit-based grant for material support does not exceed 30 € per month.
Our University awards the scholarship „Deutschlandstipendium“ solely every winter semester. The deadline for the winter semester 2022/23 was 15th July, 2022.
At the moment we do not award new scholarships. The call for application for the winter semester 2023/24 we will publish probably at the end of June 2023.