Individual doctoral studies
How and where do I apply?
In order to pursue individual doctoral studies, one needs to find a university instructor to take on the role of doctoral supervisor. You need to find a supervisor independently; the university administration does not provide any support systems to coordinate the placing of doctoral students with doctoral supervisors. In your application for individual doctoral studies you need to submit a letter (letter of confirmation) from your supervisor in which the supervisor confirms his/her supervision of your dissertation and states his/her approval of the dissertation topic.
Please send your application to the following address:
Platz der Deutschen Einheit 1
What documents do I need to include in my application?
Application procedures for individual doctoral studies vary from Faculty to Faculty at the BTU. Please be aware of this fact and follow the appropriate application procedure outlined in the Doctoral Studies Regulations for your respective Faculty. The following list of documents serves to provide a general idea of which documents may need to be handed in, but additional documents may be required by your respective Faculty’s study regulations.
- A written proposal of the faculty
Faculty 1 Faculty 2 Faculty 3
Faculty 4 Faculty 5 Faculty 6
outlining the following two points:
1) Which specific doctoral degree is sought (e.g. Dr. rer. nat. or Dr.-Ing.)
2) The title and topic of the dissertation 3) A letter of confirmation from your supervisor
- Data sheet
- Curriculum vitae
- Certified copies of certificates and transcripts of records from prior university degrees
Additionally for applicants with foreign university degrees:
If the original certificate or transcript of record is not in English or German, then you will need to also submit a certified translation to German or English from a sworn translator.
- A written declaration stating whether one has already in the past submitted a doctoral dissertation for review by a doctoral committee and if one has, then information on which university, which Faculty, the topic of the dissertation and the decision of the doctoral committee on awarding the doctor title
Dr. Inna Spivak
T +49 355 69-3970
Dr. Dagmar Stephan
T +49 355 69-2217
Dr.-Ing. Bettina Ketzmerick
T +49 355 69-4217
Prof. Dr. phil. Ulrich Paetzold
T +49 355 5818-401
T +49 355 69-2968
T +49 355 69-4209
What happens next after I hand in my application?
1. Applicants with German citizenship and EU citizens holding German university degrees
The faculty will review your doctoral candidate application and inform you of the result. Provided you receive a positive answer, you can enrol as a doctoral student if you wish. However, undertaking a doctoral degree at the BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg is also possible without an official enrolment. For further information about enrolment, please send an email to zulassung(at)b-tu.de.
T +49 355 69-3474
F + 49 355 69-2648
Main Building, Room 0.11
2. Applicants who are not citizens of the EU and EU citizens with non-German university degrees
The faculty will review your doctoral candidate application and inform you of the result. Provided you receive a positive answer, you can enrol as a doctoral student if you wish. However, undertaking a doctoral degree at the BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg is also possible without an official enrolment. For further information about enrolment, please send an email to internationaladmission(at)b-tu.de.
T +49 355 69-2768
F + 49 355 69-2108
Main Building, Room 4.10