Your Choice of Home University

With your application, you choose your home university where you will start your studies in the first semester.

If you want to choose BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg as your home university, you apply to our university. You can find the relevant application information below.

If you want to choose Helwan University as your home university, you apply to Helwan University. You can find further information on their website. Our colleagues will be happy to assist you with any further questions you may have.


A board of examiners reviews each application for eligibility, striving to promote excellence, academic integrity, and cultural and professional diversity.

Deadline for applicants with a foreign Master entrance qualification who require a visa:15 July (via uni assist)
Deadline for applicants with a foreign Master entrance qualification who do not require a visa:15 August (via uni assist)
Deadline for applicants with a German Master entrance qualification:31 August (via myBTU)

Applications via uni assist usually open in March. Applications via myBTU usually open in May.


Graduates with a foreign Master entry qualification apply via uni assist, an external organisation that conducts the formal evaluation of the candidates’ academic qualifications.

Graduates with a German Master entry qualification apply via our university's myBTU application portal.

For more information on the application process, please see the websites of the Admissions and Registrar's Office.

  • Bachelor degree or equivalent qualification in Archaeology, Tourism, Architecture, Conservation or History or equivalent*
  • Transcript of Records Bachelor degree*
  • Proof of English language proficiency
  • Higher education entrance qualification (e.g. Abitur, A-Levels, High-School Leaving Certificate, etc.)*
  • Curriculum vitae (CV)
  • Letter of motivation
  • Two letters of recommendation (at least one of which should be academic)
  • Copy of valid passport

* If these documents are issued in a language other than English or German, certified translations have to be provided in addition to the original language documents.

Additional documents may be required, depending on the application process via uni-assist or myBTU. Please read all information on the respective website carefully!


Do you have questions? You can find answers to the most frequently asked questions in our FAQs.

Do you have questions about the application process? Find further information and contact details on the websites of the Admissions and Registrar's Office.

Do you have questions about the study programme or the subject-specific admission criteria? You can contact us at heritageconservation-ma(at)

Important Visa Information

It is recommended to inform yourself about the visa requirements at the Egyptian and German Embassy in your home country before your application.

According to the experience of recent years, Iranian nationals are presently not able to obtain a visa for Egypt. This means that such students would not be able to attend the mandatory exchange semester at Helwan University and could not be awarded the Joint Master Degree in Heritage Conservation and Site Management. Therefore, we regret to recommend that Iranian nationals should pursue other master programmes.

This website uses cookies. Those have two functions: On the one hand they are providing basic functionality for this website. On the other hand they allow us to improve our content for you by saving and analyzing anonymized user data. You can redraw your consent to using these cookies at any time. Find more information regarding cookies on our Data Protection Declaration and regarding us on the Imprint.


These cookies are needed for a smooth operation of our website.


Name Purpose Lifetime Type Provider
_pk_id Used to store a few details about the user such as the unique visitor ID. 13 months HTML Matomo
_pk_ref Used to store the attribution information, the referrer initially used to visit the website. 6 months HTML Matomo
_pk_ses Short lived cookie used to temporarily store data for the visit. 30 minutes HTML Matomo