We are accepting applications via our online portal throughout the year. However: For a start in summer semester (early April) submission of your complete application online is recommended no later than November 1st, for a start in winter semester (early October) no later than May 1st because checking your application and eligibility to pursue doctral studies, finding a supervisor, decision of the PhD Committe and faculty Council as well as visa application procedure may take several months. Please also note that scholarship applications may well take 12 months.
To apply for this programme please read the guide "Application Step by Step" and submit your complete application online. We only accept complete applications – including a PhD proposal according to our specifications that fits the research profile of our PhD programme.
You will need the following documents to upload to your online application via the online portal:
- A colour passport-styled photo (in JPEG format)
- Curriculum Vitae (with academic and professional experiences)
- A Statement of Research Interest (max. 1 page) and Research Proposal (max. 5 pages plus references/tables) – please use our template (specified structure & questions, maximum length, font type, font size)
>> You have to decide by yourself on which research topic to write your PhD proposal (for more information on our research profile please read the section PhD Programme profile). The purpose of the research proposal is to evaluate your ability to pursue a PhD. If your application is complete and you meet our eligibility criteria, we forward your proposal to a professor/potential supervisor who decides if your proposal meets our criteria and fits the profile of the respective Chair/Department. Important is that your proposal is innovative, meets scientific standards and you use up-to-date scientific methods. Please ensure that you know about the state-of-the-art in your research field.
- Certified copy of your original higher education entrance qualification (e.g. high school diploma or German Abitur certificate)
- Certified copies of your complete Bachelor´s and Master´s certificates and transcripts of records; in English translation by a sworn interpreter and including an explanation on the grading system of the university
- 1-2 pages summary of your Master´s thesis (or similar academic thesis, e.g. a Diploma thesis)
- 2 letters of recommendation from university professors (e.g. your Master´s thesis supervisor), former employers or project partners
- Proof of English proficiency and possible Excemptions
- Completed and signed Declaration
Once you have these documents ready, kindly register to our online portal and submit your complete application online.