How can we better meet the major challenges of the present and future – such as climate change, digitalization, social inequality, economic change? What contribution can education and research make here?
The inter- and transdisciplinary Transformation Studies course deals with these questions and challenges and addresses current developments in society, politics, business and science. The internationally oriented Master Programme enables students to understand, scientifically investigate and accompany the complexity of processes of socio-cultural, socio-technical, socio-economic and institutional change of societies in their respective environments. Students will learn to actively help to shape diverse processes of transformation in the context of independently implemented research, development or consulting projects.
The Degree Programme strengthens and supports the BTU's goal of assuming a special responsibility for future-oriented and sustainable development. In particular, due to the BTU's regional commitment as a university in Lusatia with strong research and transfer, the Degree Programme is intended to tie in with various transformation processes in the region and enable students to become involved in these processes.
Students learn to understand and examine transformation processes and to develop concrete solutions and strategies for overcoming crises and challenges. The inter- and transdisciplinary orientation of the Degree Program enables students to understand the social, economic and technical aspects of transformation processes in their context from various scientific and everyday perspectives and to acquire methods for investigating and designing transformation and transformation processes.
The teaching and qualification objectives include knowledge of science and technology research, social and economic sciences and legal aspects of transformation as well as inter- and transdisciplinary, communicative, discursive, media and ethical skills. Students are taught to think responsibly and critically in the spirit of transformative learning.
Professional Fields of Activity
The Programme is intended to prepare students for work in a growing and future-viable professional field that deals with complex processes of change in various transformation fields, for example in the context of structural change in industry, digitalization, climate change and sustainable development, (de)globalization, postmodernism and post-growth. These include the following professional fields.
- Transformation and transformative research at universities and research institutions,
- Policy advice, particularly in the areas of assessing and analyzing transformation processes as well as developing political recommendations for shaping transformation,
- Work as a speaker for associations and foundations, especially in the transformation fields mentioned,
- Work in the field of transformation and transformative education, especially education for sustainable development
- Business and economic consulting,
- Participation in the operational and strategic management of companies, especially in future departments or in the area of corporate social responsibility and decarbonization,
- Work in authorities, in areas of administration or municipalities that deal with questions of structural change
- Journalism, press and public relations