Successful revalidation of the BTU’s Environmental Management System
Following the successful revalidation of the Main Campus and Bad Saarow sites, the BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg continues to bear the EMAS seal.
Environmental Management System at the BTU Cottbus
The BTU is working on a future-oriented transformation of all the university areas, with sustainable resource consumption being the cross-disciplinary theme.
Regarding the Main Campus and the site in Bad Saarow, the university committed itself to sustainable development with the establishment of the BTU Environmental Policy in 2004. In 2006, an environmental report was published for the first time, relating to the years 2005/2006.
The Environmental Management System was then adapted to the regulations of the EC-Eco-Audit Regulation (EMAS III) in 2009. In July 2010, the BTU was the first university in Berlin and Brandenburg to be entered into the EMAS registry.
EMAS – Eco-Management and Audit Scheme – requires that organizations voluntarily contribute more to environmental protection than isrequired by legal standards. Furthermore, they must be reviewed by a government-approved environmental verifier regularly, and the operations of their environmental protection must be made public in an environmental statement.
The 10 Environmental Guidelines of the BTU: an overview of our commitments
- Efficient use of finite resources
- Taking into account environmental aspects in all procurement and investment procedures
- Consideration of environmental aspects in construction, facilities management and land use
- Occupational safety measures to avoid pollution arising from accidents and improper handling
- Compliance with legal regulations and striving to go beyond legal requirements
- Acquisition and transfer of knowledge at the university level
- External cooperation with institutions from the political, media and industrial branches
- Continual improvement of the university’s sustainable development
- Organizational structure – environmental protection as a collective task
- Environmental statement – annually updated version of the environmental policy and environmental performance