Welcome to the International Association of World Heritage Professionals e.V. This page is dedicated to all members of IAWHP e.V. and to all heritage and world heretage professionals interested in engaging with our association.
The International Association of World Heritage Professionals e.V., IAWHP e.V., was originally established in 2009 by the alumni of the master’s programme in World Heritage Studies at the Brandenburg University of Technology (BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg) in Cottbus, Germany. In July 2010, IAWHP e.V. has become an officially registered non-profit organization in Germany. Its headquarters are located in Cottbus, on the campus of BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg.
The main aim of IAWHP e.V. is to provide an institutional framework for the alumni of BTU’s World Heritage Studies programme and other heritage and world heritage professionals worldwide. The organization welcomes alumni and individuals with related expertise in the field of heritage conservation, management, protection and promotion, especially those working at or engaging with sites inscribed on UNESCO’s World Heritage List.
The International Association of World Heritage Professionals e.V. (IAWHP e.V.) is a non-profit association of specialsts in various fields connected to World Heritage protection and managment. To achieve its goal, IAWHP e.V. undertakes the following activities:
- establishing and maintainingprofessional networks between BTU’s World Heritage Studies Alumni and other heritage professionals;
- acting as a think-tank for developing innovative approaches towards the protection, conservation and management of the material and immaterial aspects of cultural and natural heritage;
- encouraging, planning and implementing joint research as well as other projects whose goals correspond to those of the association;
- making the knowledge of its members available to existing and potential World Heritage Sites as well as other related institutions and actors;
- creating adatabase of information concerning the protection of heritage sites worldwide as well as other relevant conferences, educational opportunities and job offers for the benefit of its members; and
- informally assisting and advising students of the World Heritage Studies Master’s Programme at Brandenburg University of Technology (BTU) Cottbus in reaching their study objectives and their entry into the workforce.
Since its foundation, the International Association of World Heritage Professionals e.V. (IAWHP e.V.) has organized various conferences and scientific simposia. These international gatherings have the aim of bringing together a wide range of academics, professionals and practitioners engaged in the heritage field. With the financial support of the German Academic Exchange Service, the International Association of World Heritage Professionals e.V. (IAWHP e.V.) has organized four major conferences:
- World Heritage Theory, Policy and Practice (2017)
- The Right to [World] Heritage (2014)
- Understanding Each Other’s Heritage – Challenges for Heritage Communication in a Globalized World (2012)
- World Heritage and Sustainable Development (2011)
The IAWHP Board 2020-2023
Chairperson: Patricia Alberth (Germany)
Deputy Chairperson: Rolf Schütt (Bolivia)
Secretary: Manana Tevzadze (Georgia)
Public Information Officer: Chang Liu (China)
Membership Officer: Klaus Zehbe (Germany)
Treasurer: Li Fan (China)
DeputyTreasurer: Miki Shimizu (Japan)
The Statutes of IAWHP e.V. are available both in German and English language. Members to the association are required to adhere to the organization’ statutes and principles. The last revision of the statutes was approved at the association’s extraordinary general assembly held on May 9th, 2019.
Note: IAWHP e.V. is registered as a non-profit organization in Cottbus in accordance with German Law. All legal disputes will be handled accordingly and on the basis of the information provided in the German version of the Association’s Statutes. The English translation is merely for reference and is not legally binding.
For members, the IAWHP e.V. serves as an institutional basis for the organisation and implementation of projects that are in line with the aims of the organisation. IAWHP e.V. is officially registered as a non-profit organisation in accordance with German Law with its headquarters in Cottbus, Germany (Registration Number: VR 4872 CB).
Any questions e-mail us: members[at]iawhp.com
Becoming a Member
Following the statute of the International Association of World Heritage Professionals e.V., the follwing categories are eligible to become members of the association:
- alumni of the World Heritage Studies Programme of the Brandenburg University of Technology (BTU) Cottbus
- alumni of any other related Master’s or Doctorate level academic programme related to the protection, management and interpretation of heritage in its many forms regardless of professional and/or academic background.
- professionals involved in the protection, management and interpretation of heritage its many forms, regardless of academic background, particularly those who work with World Heritage as defined by the UNESCO World Heritage Convention.
Once the membership application and membership fee have been received, your application will be reviewed by the Board. Once approved, you will receive an official membership confirmation letter along with your membership number.
Should your application not be accepted you will be notified and the fee will be refunded.
Renewing your Membership
If you are already a member and you wish to renew your membership please remember to pay the annual membership fee to our account. Once your renewal payment have been received you will be notified and issued an updated membership confirmation letter.
You can contact IAWHP e.V. via email, mail and through out social media outlets. The International Association of World Heritage Professionals e.V. has an active Facebook page where you can find information on the association’s activities but also news about world heritage and heritage related matters.
c/o Staatliche Schlösser und Gärten Baden-Württemberg
E-mail: info [at] iawhp.com or members [at] iawhp.com
IAWHP e.V. is officially registered as a non-profit organisation in accordance with German Law with its headquarters in Cottbus, Germany (Registration Number: VR 4872 CB).