Frequently Asked Questions

We understand that the application process can be confusing at times. If you are looking for some quick answers to questions you have about the application process, our FAQ page is here to help. Below you can find answers to some of our most common questions.

Admissions Requirements

Q: What are the requirements for the Heritage Conservation and Site Management Studies programme?

A: Detailed information on admission requirements, the admissions procedure, language proficiency and more can be found on this website, under the tab "Admissions".

Q: My bachelor's degree is unrelated to Heritage Conservation and Site Management studies, but I have practical experience in the heritage field. May I apply?

A:  Yes, if you have relevant experience in the heritage field, you are welcome to apply (e.g. work, internship or traineeship). The selection committee reviews the entire application (including your letter of motivation, letters of reference, Curriculum Vitae, etc.).

Q: Do I need prior work experience to apply for the HCSM programme?

A: No, you do not need prior work experience, either in heritage or any related fields, to apply.

However, applicants who have worked in the field of heritage, or a related field, are encouraged to provide information on their professional experience(s) in their application.

Q: What is the GPA or numerus clausus ("NC") required for admission to this programme?

A:  There is no fixed GPA or NC required for admission to this study programme. All applications are assessed individually to ensure that applicants meet the academic requirements necessary to succeed in the study programme. This assessment looks not only at the degree and the grades, but at the entire application (incl. letter of motivation, CV, letters of reference, etc.).

Q: Can I be exempted from the proof of English language proficiency? (e.g. because my previous education was in English or I have a different certificate)

A: Only the exemptions listed in the Information Sheet "Language Certificate English" are possible. No other exemptions will be granted. No other proofs of English language proficiency are admissible.

Please understand that, since our university receives hundreds of applications from around the world, we are forced to limit the admissible proofs of English language proficiency in order to ensure the fair and efficient evaluation of all applications. The current rules are the result of many years of experience in the admission of international students at our university.

In the information sheet, you can also find a section "I will receive my test results only after the application deadline".

Q: I already have one Master degree. Can I apply for a second Master degree?

A: Yes, you are welcome to apply for a Master's degree at our university, even if you have already completed one. There are no restrictions on applying for a second Master's degree.

Application Documents

Q: What are the expectations regarding the motivation letter?

A: There are no formal requirements for the motivation letter. The letter should be in English. It is recommended that the letter be 1 - 2 pages long.

Q: What are the expectations regarding the letters of recommendation?

A: There are no formal requirements for the letters of recommendation. It is recommended that the letter contain information on the following points:

  • What is the position of the person writing the letter ("author")?
  • How does the author of the letter know you, the applicant?
  • How does the author evaluate your overall qualifications (academic/professional/personal)?
  • In the opinion of the author, what qualifies you for studies in the heritage field?

The letter should be in English. If the author is not proficient in English, you can submit the letter in another language and add an informal translation. This translation does not have to be by a sworn translator and can be provided by yourself.

Q: What is my “higher education entrance qualification”?

A: The “higher education entrance qualification” is the qualification that allowed you to enter a university, e.g. the German Abitur, A-Levels or a high school entrance examination. What documents exactly have to be submitted for the higher education entrance qualification varies from country to country, sometimes even from one region to another. Uni assist provides more specific information for almost all countries on their website.

Q: Do I have to send my documents by post?

A: No, you do not have to send documents by post - neither to our university, nor to uni assist. You only need to upload your documents in the online application process.

Applicants to our university are no longer required to submit certified copies. The upload of scans in the online application process is sufficient. (Our university reserves the right to request certified copies from individual applicants in exceptional cases.)

Q: Should I submit additional documents with my application (e.g. certificates)?

A: Only the documents listed under “Application Documents" and the documents required by uni assist are necessary for your application to our study programme. The board of examiners that evaluates your application does not need or expect any additional documents.

Nonetheless, if you have additional documents that you feel will strengthen your application (e.g. certificates from workshops, employment records), you are welcome to add them voluntarily. You can upload them as an additional document in the uni assist online application portal. Please select only the documents most pertinent to your application and try to keep your application concise.

Q: Should I submit a portfolio with my application?

A: You do not have to submit a portfolio with your application. Portfolios are not a mandatory application document and are not expected by the board of examiners that evaluates your application.

However, if you have a portfolio and you feel that it will strengthen your application, you are welcome to add it to your application voluntarily. You can upload it as an additional document in the uni assist online application portal.

Application Process

Q: How long does it take to process applications?

A: Applications are evaluated as they are received. The sooner you apply, the sooner you will receive information regarding your admission status.

Please note that the review process can easily take two months after the submission of your complete application. This is because uni assist requires about six weeks for their pre-check. Additionally, our university needs two weeks for our review and to issue the letter of admission or rejection. During the busiest time of the application period (about mid-July to mid-August), this may increase. Generally, we advise all applicants to apply as soon as possible and not wait until right before the deadline.

Q: Can my application be considered for both World Heritage Studies and Heritage Conservation and Site Management?

It is possible to apply for both programmes at the same time. Please submit a separate letter of motivation for each programme with your application.

For more information on the M.A. World Heritage Studies, please consult the website.

Q: Can I apply for the summer semester?

A: No, it is not possible to apply for summer semester start dates. Applications for the winter semester typically open via uni assist in March.

Q: I cannot get a visa appointment because the waiting times at my local embassy are so long. Can you help me get an earlier visa appointment?

A: No. Our university has no way of influencing the way your local German embassy operates. Our university can do no more than issue the letter of admission. Therefore, we strongly advise applicants from countries with long visa waiting times to apply as early as possible.

(If you receive a scholarship from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), their local office may be able to assist you.)


Q: What are the differences between the M.A. in Heritage Conservation and Site Management and the M.A. in World Heritage Studies?

The M.A. in Heritage Conservation and Site Management is a joint degree offered in cooperation with Helwan University in Egypt, so all admitted HCSM students spend their third semester at Helwan University. The programme is conducted on-campus. Our partners at Helwan University are from the Tourism and Hospitality Management Faculty, so HCSM is oriented towards tourism and heritage site management.

The World Heritage Studies curriculum focuses on the UNESCO Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage, including additional modules on natural heritage and the social sciences. The programme started a dual degree programme with Deakin University in 2014. Each year, five WHS students are given the opportunity to study in Melbourne, Australia. Starting 2021, in addition to its original On-Campus format, WHS can also be studied entirely online with WHS Online. For more information on the World Heritage Studies programme, please consult the website.

Q: Do I need to complete an internship to graduate from HCSM?

A: No. Internships are not a mandatory part of the HCSM curriculum. Nonetheless, many of our students choose to do voluntary internships during their studies.

We have collected some examples of internships in the heritage field and tips on the website "Internships".

Q: The study programme includes a mandatory semester at Helwan University in Egypt. Do I have to organize this stay on my own?

A: All HCSM students receive information on how to prepare for their semester abroad at Helwan University well ahead of time. You will be given checklists, tipps and support for your preparations. Additionally, students profit from the tipps shared by their Egyptian colleagues and from the experiences of returning students from previous years.

While you must apply for your Egyptian visa individually, our university does provide background information and supporting documents. Depending on your nationality, you will apply for your visa at the Egyptian embassy in Berlin or directly in Egypt, upon your arrival. It is not necessary to apply for an Egyptian visa before the start of your studies at BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg.


Q: Is it possible to study HCSM entirely at BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg without going to Egypt?

A: No. HCSM is only offered as a joint degree that includes a mandatory semester abroad at our partner university Helwan in Cairo, Egypt.

If you prefer to conduct your studies completely in Germany, you may want to consider applying for our Master of Arts in World Heritage Studies instead.

Q: Do I need to know German to attend the M.A. in Heritage Conservation and Site Management programme?

A: No. You do not need German language skills to study in the HCSM programme.

Nonetheless, voluntary German language courses are offered through BTU, and an intensive course is offered before the start of every winter semester. For more information, please consult BTU's Zentrale Einrichtung Sprachen website.

Additional Information

Q: Will I be charged tuition fees for studying in the programme?

A: Our university does not currently charge tuition fees for studying in the M.A. Heritage Conservation and Site Management. However, students are required to pay a semester fee of approximately 330 Euros per semester which includes student services, such as the semester ticket. With the semester ticket students are allowed to use all regional, public transportation (trains, busses, subway etc.) in Brandenburg and Berlin at no extra charge. The International Relations Office website provides further information on Finances.

HCSM students whose home university is BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg are also exempted from paying tuition fees to Helwan University. They are only charged an administrative enrolment fee.

Q: Are there scholarships available?

There are currently no scholarships available specifically for HCSM students who choose BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg as their home university. Please see the general information provided by the International Relations Office.

Some scholarships may be available through Helwan University. If you are interested in choosing Helwan University as your home university, please check their website for more details (

Q: Where can I find more information on living and studying in Germany?

A: There are various resources available online that will give you background information on living and studying in Germany (please "Useful Links" below). Regarding the immigration process and visa requirements, you can find information provided by the International Relations Office.

You didn’t find the answer to your question? Write us an email. We’d love to hear from you!