Dr. Astrid Schwarz has held the chair for Technoscience Studies at BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg since early 2017.
Before coming to BTU, Dr. Schwarz worked for ETH Zurich at the Department for Humanities, Social and Political Sciences (2014–17), and as assistant professor at the Institute for Philosophy of TU Darmstadt (2002–13), where she taught as a visiting professor and researcher in France, China, and Germany (FSU Jena, Hochschule Darmstadt).
In 2007/08 she was a fellow at the Center for Interdisciplinary Research Bielefeld (ZIF) in the research group ‘Science in the Context of Application: Methodological Change, Conceptual Transformation, Cultural Reorientation’. Since then, she has worked as a visiting research fellow in Brasil (2009, University of São Paulo), the United Kingdom (2010, University of Durham), and Australia (2010, CAPPE Canberra).
Aside from holding the chair of Technoscience Studies, Dr. Schwarz has participated as a BTU faculty member in several summer/winter school projects (2013 ‘The Regulative Capacity of Knowledge Objects’ in San Sebastián; ‘Modes of Technoscientific Knowledge’ in Manigod; 2008 Converging Technologies in Alsfeld).
Dr. Astrid Schwarz completed her habilitation in 2012 at TU Darmstadt. She holds a Venia legendi for Philosophy. Her habilitation treatise was published as a book in 2014 (Experiments in Practice, London: Routledge).
Her PhD, ‘Wasserwüste, Mikrokosmos, Ökosystem. Eine Eroberung des Wasserraumes’ (Freiburg: Rombach), was published in 2003. It was submitted at TU München (2000) and awarded Summa cum laude.
During university studies, Dr. Schwarz took courses in biology, philosophy, and ethnography. Her diploma work was on experimental ecology (grade ‘very good’), and was partly published in the international journal Annales de Limnologie (1997).
2007/06 | fellow at the Center for Interdisciplinary Research, Bielefeld (ZIF), research group ‘Science in the Context of Application: Methodological Change, Conceptual Transformation, Cultural Reorientation’
2002 | Grant of the Franco-Bavarian University Cooperation Center (BFHZ)
2002/01 | Post-Doc Grant MSH Paris (DAAD)
1998/97 | Grant by Frauenförderung TU München
1994 | Grants by Landesgraduiertenförderung Baden-Württemberg and Evangelisches Studienwerk Villigst (not taken up)
1993 | 3-month Stipend DAAD (France)
Astrid Schwarz is a member of the following scientific associations:
- European Association for the Study of Science and Technology (EASST)
- Society for the Study of Nanoscience and Emerging Technologies (S.NET)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Geschichte der Medizin, Naturwissenschaft und Technik (DGGMNT)
- Swiss Artistic Research Network (SARN)
- European Philosophy of Science Association (EPSA)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Limnologie (DGL)
Former and recent reviewing activities:
- Journals: Synthese; NanoEthics; Environment and Planning; Area; Gaia; Theory in Biosciences; Zeitschrift für Geschichte der Wissenschaften, Technik und Medizin (NTM); Philosophy & Technology, Science & Culture, Frontiers Ecology and Evolution
- Wissenschaftsfond FWF Wien; BMBF; NSF Norway; EU projects (Nanodialogue, DEEPEN), EC 7th Framework Programme; University of Chicago Press