Leave of Absence

Video tutorial Submitting a leave of absence application

The rules in force for leaves of absence can be found in the Enrolment Rules of BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg.

How and when do I file for a semester on leave and for what reason?
You may take a leave of absence for a semester. Possible reasons for the leave of absence may be: semester abroad, internship, maternity leave, etc. (more info in the Enrolment Rules of BTU Cottbus).

The leave of absence must be applied for online during the re-registration period in the myBTU-Portal (under Service > Applications > Leave of Absence); the relevant evidence (for example, medical certificate, birth certificate, internship contract) must be uploaded along with the application. You can view the processing status of your online application at any time in the myBTU-Portal.

After examining the application and reaching a decision, you will be informed by email. You will receive a notification of the approval or rejection of your application which will be made available to you to print (PDF file) on the myBTU-Portal under My Studies > Study Service > Notices/Certificates. Please download this as soon as possible and keep it in a safe place for future inquiries. If approved, the leave of absence will also be listed on the certificate of enrolment.

Important reasons for a leave of absence are:

  • a long-lasting illness of the student, under which a proper study is not possible,
  • the performance of a service in corresponding application of § 9 Para. 1 No. 1 to 5 of the University Admission Ordinance - HZV from the second semester onwards,
  • the care of close relatives of the students, use of the protection periods according to the Maternity Protection Act and parental leave according to § 14 para. 2 sentence 4 BbgHG,
  • the periods of time prescribed in the regulations for the study programs for study visits at other universities and in practice (mobility window) abroad with a duration of at least eight weeks or
  • the longer-term absence from the place of study due to study-related internships, work experience or comparable activities in Germany with a duration of at least eight weeks.

Do I have to pay the semester fee even if I take a leave of absence?

Some reasons for a leave of absence lead to a reduction in the semester fee. You can find out the cost of your semester fee in your fee notification in the myBTU-Portal after the online application has been approved.

If you already paid the semester fee before you submitted the online application for a leave of absence, and the reason for your leave of absence resulted in a reduction of your semester fee, the excess amount will be listed for you as a credit in the myBTU-Portal. Amounts greater than 5 euros will be officially reimbursed. For amounts of less than 5 euros, you must submit an application for the reimbursement of credit via the myBTU-Portal.

Certain reasons, such as an internship abroad (Usually internships in Germany do not count), may qualify you to apply for an exemption from the fee imposed upon students by the student services organisation (Studentenwerk) for the time you are on leave. The application for exemption from/reimbursement of the Studentenwerk feemust be sent directly to the Studentenwerk Frankfurt (Oder) (service(at)swffo.de).

May I put off taking examinations while I am on leave?
The right to register for modules and attend courses is suspended for the duration of the leave of absence. Repeat examinations in modules with a final module examination can be taken.