Frequently Asked Questions

We understand that the application process can be confusing at times. If you are looking for some quick answers to questions you have about the application process, our FAQ page is here to help. Below you can find answers to some of our most common questions.

Admissions Requirements

Q: Do I need work experience to apply?

A: No, you do not need prior work experience to apply.

However, applicants who have worked in the field of Urban Design, or a related field, are encouraged to provide information on their professional experience(s) in their application.

Q: What is the GPA or numerus clausus ("NC") required for admission to this programme?

A:  There is no fixed GPA or NC required for admission to this study programme. All applications are assessed individually to ensure that applicants meet the academic requirements necessary to succeed in the study programme. This assessment looks not only at the degree and the grades, but at the entire application (incl. letter of motivation, CV, portfolio, etc.).

Q: Can I be exempted from the proof of English language proficiency? (e.g. because my previous education was in English or I have a different certificate)

A: Only the exemptions listed in the Information Sheet "Language Certificate English" are possible. No other exemptions will be granted. No other proofs of English language proficiency are admissible.

Please understand that, since our university receives hundreds of applications from around the world, we are forced to limit the admissible proofs of English language proficiency in order to ensure the fair and efficient evaluation of all applications. The current rules are the result of many years of experience in the admission of international students at our university.

In the information sheet, you can also find a section "I will receive my test results only after the application deadline".

Q: I already have one Master degree. Can I apply for a second Master degree?

A: Yes, you are welcome to apply for a Master's degree at our university, even if you have already completed one. There are no restrictions on applying for a second Master's degree.

Application Documents

Q: Can I apply, if I do not have my Bachelor certificate yet?

A: Yes. If you do not have your graduation documents yet, you can apply by submitting your current transcript of records instead. (If it is not in English or German, you also have to provide a translation by a certified translator.) If you are admitted to the programme, you will then be asked to submit your graduation documents upon enrolment.

Q: What are the expectations regarding the motivation letter?

A: There are no formal requirements for the motivation letter. The letter should be in English. It is recommended that the letter be about one page long.

Q: What is my “higher education entrance qualification”?

A: The “higher education entrance qualification” is the qualification that allowed you to enter a university, e.g. the German Abitur, A-Levels or a high school entrance examination. What documents exactly have to be submitted for the higher education entrance qualification varies from country to country, sometimes even from one region to another. Uni assist provides more specific information for almost all countries on their website.

Q: Do I have to send my documents by post?

A: No, you do not have to send documents by post - neither to our university, nor to uni assist. You only need to upload your documents in the online application process.

Applicants to our university are no longer required to submit certified copies. The upload of scans in the online application process is sufficient. (Our university reserves the right to request certified copies from individual applicants in exceptional cases.)

Q: Should I submit additional documents with my application (e.g. certificates)?

A: Only the documents listed under “Documents" and the documents required by uni assist are necessary for your application to our study programme. The board of examiners that evaluates your application does not need or expect any additional documents.

Nonetheless, if you have additional documents that you feel will strengthen your application (e.g. certificates from workshops, employment records), you are welcome to add them voluntarily. You can upload them as an additional document in the uni assist online application portal. Please select only the documents most pertinent to your application and try to keep your application concise.

Application Process

Q: How long does it take to process applications?

A: Applications are evaluated as they are received. The sooner you apply, the sooner you will receive information regarding your admission status.

Please note that the review process can easily take two months after the submission of your complete application. This is because uni assist requires about six weeks for their pre-check. Additionally, our university needs two weeks for our review and to issue the letter of admission or rejection. During the busiest time of the application period (about mid-July to mid-August), this may increase. Generally, we advise all applicants to apply as soon as possible and not wait until right before the deadline.

Q: Can I apply for the summer semester?

A: No, it is not possible to apply for summer semester start dates. Applications for the winter semester typically open via uni assist in March.

Q: I cannot get a visa appointment because the waiting times at my local embassy are so long. Can you help me get an earlier visa appointment?

A: No. Our university has no way of influencing the way your local German embassy operates. Our university can do no more than issue the letter of admission. Therefore, we strongly advise applicants from countries with long visa waiting times to apply as early as possible.

(If you receive a scholarship from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), their local office may be able to assist you.)


Q: How does the Dual Degree differ from the Master Degree?

A: The Dual Degree is a postgraduate qualification offered by three different universities. You have the choice between the four-semester Master program held at BTU or the Dual Degree, which includes mandatory semesters at Cairo University and Alexandria University.

Please note that you must select your desired study option during the application process. In both cases, you will receive a degree in Urban Design and Sustainable Revitalization.

Q: The Double Degree programme includes two mandatory semesters abroad in Egypt. Do I have to organize this stay on my own?

A: All students who decide to spend one or two semesters in Egypt receive information on how to prepare for their studies abroad well ahead of time. You will be given checklists, tipps and support for your preparations. Additionally, students profit from the tipps shared by their Egyptian colleagues and from the experiences of returning students from previous years.

While you must apply for your Egyptian visa individually, our university does provide background information and supporting documents. It is not necessary to apply for an Egyptian visa before the start of your studies at BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg.


Q: Is it possible to study entirely at BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg without going to Egypt?

A: Yes, it is possible to study entirely at BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg without going to Egypt. The Urban Design and Sustainable Revitalization program offers the choice to study solely at BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg or to spend two semesters at our partner universities in Egypt.

Q: Do I need to know German to be admitted to this programme?

A: No. You do not need German language skills to study in the Urban Design programme.

Nonetheless, voluntary German language courses are offered through BTU, and an intensive course is offered before the start of every winter semester. For more information, please consult BTU's Zentrale Einrichtung Sprachen website.

Additional Information

Q: Will I be charged tuition fees for studying in the programme?

A: There are tuition fees associated with studying in the Double Degree programme. The four-semester Master programme at BTU is free of tuition fees. Additional fees, such as the BTU semester fee or administrative fees at the Egyptian partner universities will also apply.

Q: Where can I find more information on living and studying in Germany?

A: There are various resources available online that will give you background information on living and studying in Germany (please "Useful Links" below). Regarding the immigration process and visa requirements, you can find information provided by the International Relations Office.

You didn’t find the answer to your question? Write us an email. We’d love to hear from you!