Since 10/2020: Research assistant at the Chair of Energy Economics
10/2017 – 09/2020: M. Sc. in Environmental and Resource Management, BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg
Master Thesis: "Quantifying the effect of competition in the German Photovoltaic Auction program: an agent-based model".
06/2017 - 09/2020: Working Student at Elia Grid International in Berlin, Germany - Working in the Regulation and Markets Department on the project "the Internet of Energy" within 50 Hertz and proposal drafting for Data Hubs.
10/2016 - 01/2017: Student Assistant at Politehnica University of Bucharest.
02/2015 - 07/2015: Exchange Studies in Electrical Engineering, Technical University
07/2015 - 10/2015: Internship at ASTI Automation SRL in Bucharest, Romania.
10/2012 - 07/2016: Bachelor in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering with focus on Applied Electronics in German language, Faculty of Engineering in Foreign Languages, Politehnica University of Bucharest
Bachelor Thesis: “Modelling the proportional–integral–derivative controller for a two-tank water system”.
Awards and Grants:
- Best student award for the paper "Multi-Stage Stochastic Optimization for Battery Energy Storage Systems in the Iberian market” at the 2nd International Conference on Energy Transition in the Mediterranean Area, Thessaloniki, Greece.
Publications / Working Paper
Riepin, I., Sgarciu, S., Bernecker, M., Möbius, T., Müsgens, F. „Grok It and Use It: Teaching Energy Systems Modeling” (January 9, 2023). | Preprint
Sgarciu, S., Scholz, D., Müsgens, F., (2023). ‘How CO2 prices accelerate decarbonisation – The case of coal-fired generation in Germany’. Energy Policy 173, 113375. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2022.113375 | Preprint
Ahsen, S. S., Sgarciu, S., Gallego, A., (2022). 'Multi-Stage Stochastic Optimization for Battery Energy Storage Systems in the Iberian market', 2nd International Conference on Energy Transition in the Mediterranean Area (SyNERGY MED), pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/SyNERGYMED55767.2022.9941438. Preprint
‘Towards a carbon-free future: impacts of regulatory and market-based instruments in Germany’
- Full presentation at the 18th IAEE European Conference - The Global Energy Transition Toward Decarbonization, Milan, July 24th-27th , 2023
‘The impacts of weather uncertainty on the future European electricity system’
- Full presentation at the Second Workshop on Energy, Climate, and ESG - Department of Mathematics (uio.no), Oslo, Norway, May 3rd – May 5th, 2023
‘Multi-Stage Stochastic Optimization for Battery Energy Storage Systems in the Iberian market’
- Full presentation at SyNERGY MED 2022 - The 2nd International Conference on Energy Transition in the Mediterranean Area, Thessaloniki, Greece, October 17-19th, 2022
‘Is Germany on the right track to achieve 2030 climate and energy targets?’
- Full presentation at ENERDAY 2022 – 16th International Conference on Energy Economics and Technology; Dresden, Germany, September 30th, 2022
‘Clustering techniques for stochastic weather modelling in energy systems’
- Full presentation at the Conference on Climate, Weather and Carbon Risk in Energy and Finance - Department of Mathematics (uio.no), Oslo, Norway, May 30th – June 1st.
‘The inter-annual weather variability in structural power system modelling’
- Hertie School Energy Research Seminar, February 2nd, 2022
‘How CO2 Prices Accelerate Decarbonisation – The Case of Coal-fired Generation in Germany’
- Poster presentation, International Autumn School 2021, Freiberg, Germany, September 13th – 17th.
‘Discount factors and hurdle rates: the dark horses of capacity expansion planning’
Energy Systems Modelling (ESM).
Wärmeversorgung und Wärmewirtschaft
Ausgewählte Themen der Energiewirtschaft