We invite students to write their Bachelor or Master thesis with us. We supervise all topics for which there is expertise in our group. There are two possible options of identifying a topic for the thesis. The first option is that students come with a topic of their interest or that during a discussion the student and the supervisor jointly identify a topic of interest to the student that can be supervised by a member of the group. The second option is that students select a topic that is currently offered (see list of topics below). In any case, come to see one of us during our consultation hours.
Offered topics for Bachelor and Master theses and Study Projects:
- Topic for a Master thesis or study project + Master thesis: The concept of ecosystem services in environmental history, analysed using the example of the "Tauersche Forest" near Peitz/Cottbus (good knowledge of German language required)
- Topic for a Bachelor thesis: Distributional effects of renewable energies – a systematic review.
- Topic for a Master thesis: Cost-effectiveness analysis of different species targeting strategies in AES design: tradeoff between PES targeting and endangered species targeting (conceptual work; good mathematical and programming skills required)
- Topic for a Bachelor Thesis: Systematic literature review on fairness/ distribution and climate change/ climate protection – research topics and gaps
- Topic for a Study Project: Systematic literature review on preferences for climate protection
- Topic for a Bachelor thesis, Study project or Master thesis: Socio-economic, technological and political reasons for agricultural land use change from 1850 till today at three locations in Germany (joint supervision with Thünen-Institut in Braunschweig) (German language skills required)
- Topic for a Study Project: Systematic literature review of grazing systems (can be follwoed by a Master thesis on an economic analysis of different grazing regimes)
- Topic for a Bachelor thesis or Master thesis: Design of cost effective water balance measures to adjust to climate change in urban areas (good conduct of German necessary)
- Evaluation of policy instruments for biodiversity conservation under climate change (Bachelor thesis/ Study Project)
- Climate-change impacts on agriculture: expected changes in yield and risk, and resulting adaptation options (Bachelor thesis/ Study Project) (literature analysis)
- Local food systems: options and their environmental and economic implications (Bachelor thesis/ Study Project)
- Climate change mitigation in agricultural systems (Bachelor thesis/ Study Project/ Master thesis: literature review on options and cost components, depending on type of thesis in more or less (quantitative) detail)
- Robust decision-making for species conservation under uncertain climate change: a case study (Master thesis, could be in combination with related Study project).
- Climate mitigation measures and biodiversity conservation: synergies and trade-offs (Bachelor thesis/ study project).
- Climate adaptation measures and biodiversity conservation: synergies and trade-offs (Bachelor thesis/ study project).
- Soil carbon storage practices: a cost assessment (Bachelor thesis/ Master thesis).
- Ecosystem service assessment of Miyawaki forests (Bachelor thesis/ Study project).
- Literature analysis of private CO2 compensation alternatives (Study project); possibly continued as a Bachelor- or Master thesis: Cost-effectiveness of (private) reforrestation projects for CO2 compensation)
|Cathy Sulaiman||The Role of pastureland in protein supply in Germany and Lower Saxony and its potential conversion to an equivalent arable land with peas|
|Johanna Hoos||Sustainable Mobility in Metropolises: Public bike sharing as a sustainable mean of transport|
|Alexander Welsch||Free Trade Agreement between United States of America and Colombia in relation to FDI inflow and national development of Colombia|
|Zha Tingting||Analysis of the condition and Policy of renewable energy in China|
|Susanne Köhler||An environmental economic evaluation of differenz reform proposals of the EEG|
|Stuck, Husseim||A philosophical critique of the limitations of cost-benefit-analysis to quantifying non-marketed goods|
|Lena Steffen||Inclusion of Aviation in the EU ETS: An analysis of the policy process using the public choice approach|
|Maria Tereza Nagawa||An assessment of climate change adaptation eligibility in Uganda, East Africa|
|Ma Congcong||Analysis of the south-north water diversion project in China in terms of goal attainment|
|Cornelius Meyer||Sewage sludge treatment in Germany. Examining the cost-efficiency of different sewage sludge treatment setups|
|Stefan Gönner||Increasing Energy Efficiency. Why is there a considerable discrepancy between the level where all cost effective energy efficiency measures are implemented and the level at which those measures are actually realized and what are possible|
|Derya Ay||Das Umweltmanagementsystem nach der DIN EN ISO 14001|
|Mortimer Grotendiek||Why the success of an Energy Management System (ISO 50001) closely depends on a well-functioning and transparent energy review|
|Jan Koch||Effectiveness and Cost-Effectiveness of Internal Carbron|
|Viola Helmers||An Economic Analysis of Hamburg’s New Environmental Guidelines – The City’s Approach to Diminishing its Environmental Impact|
|Alexander Reichert||Evaluation of costs related to the migration of the oak processionary moth in Brandenburg|
|Claudia Buss||Aufbau eines betriebseigenen Ökokontos bzw. Flächen- und Maßnahmenepools bei der Vattenfall Europe Mining AG. Grundlagen, Flächenauswahl und Kostenschätzung|
|Jan Eike Krämer||The Swiss network bonus: Environmental-economic assessment of a unique instrument for biodiversity conservation|
|Martha Ofori-Kuragu||The feasibility of REDD implementation in Ghana: the case of three farming communities in the Central Region of Ghana|
|Ola Olufunke Nike||Framework of the factors influencing the cost of implementing and managing conservation areas, estimating the costs and benefits derived from conserving nature|
|Susantio Junadi||A Cost-Benefit Analysis of Palm Oil lantation in the RIMBA Corridor in Indonesia|
|Alexander Korff||Analyzing the experience of international tourists visiting Tsimanampetsotse National park to identity improvement potential and to increase the benefits to local communities and the environment|
|Pratap Kumar Reddy||Life Cycle Assessment of small electronic devices – A case study of electric toothbrush in Germany|
|Putcha Aditya||Cost benefit analysis of different municipal solid waste management methods in Kolkata and Hyderabad|
|Mekala Nihar||Cost benefit analysis on concrete using MSWJ and C and D waste for a residential complex in Nepal|
|Edwin Ndi||A framework to assess Voluntary Sustainability Standards in relation to forestry and agriculture|
|Sun Huile||Clean Air Policy in schwer umweltverschmutzten Städten in China|
|Ahmad Hafiz Muhammad Ali||The Economics of Shale Gas Development-Opportunities and Environmental Challenges in USA|
|Charlotte Gerling||Applying DSS Ecopay to Analyse the Impact of orgnic Farming on Endangered Bird an Butterly Species|
|Su Xiangqi||Indicator-based evaluation of urban carrying capacity: Case study for four mega harbor cities|
|Bandela Srujith Kumar||Introduction of Green Building Concepts in Chennai (India) by using Life Cycle|
- Nora Stognief, Paula Walk, Oliver Schöttker, Pao-Yu Oei (2019): "The Economic Resilience of German Lignite Regions in Transition", Sustainability 2019, 11(21), 5991 (Link)
- Gerling, C., Sturm, A. and Wätzold, F. (2019): Ecological-economic modelling to compare the impact of organic and conventional farming on endangered grassland bird and butterfly species, in Agricultural Systems Volume 173, July 2019, pages 424-434 (Link)
- Krämer, J.E., Wätzold, F. (2018):The Agglomeration Bonus in Practice – an Exploratory Assessment of the Swiss Network Bonus,Journal for Nature Conservation (Link)
- Ganzhorn, J. U., Manjoazy, T., Päplow, O., Randrianavelona, R., Razafimanahaka, J. H., Ronto, W. M., Vogt, E., Wätzold, F. (2015): Comment. Rights to trade for species conservation: exploring the issue of the radiated tortoise in Madagaskar, Environmental Conservation, Vol 42 (04), 291-293. (Link)