Research and teaching at the Chair focus on the application of economic knowledge to problems of environmental and resource management, in particular the preservation of ecosystem services and biodiversity conservation. Methods and approaches include, among others, ecological-economic modelling, the development of decision support software, as well as stakeholder interviews and choice experiments.
Dear Students, if you are interested in writing a Bachelor- or Masterthesis at our chair, you can now find a list of possible thesis topics at our homepage. You are also invited to discuss a topic of your choice with us. In case of further interest, please contact us during consultation hours.
Change at office hours!
The next consultation hour is on January 22nd 2021 (11 - 12 am). On January 13th and 20th there are no consultation hours.
Prof. Wätzold’s office hours will only take place by phone or via skype. The consultation hour in winter semester 2020/21: every Wednesday, 2 - 3 pm. If you want to talk with Prof. Wätzold via skype please let me know your user skype name. Please email to regina.kirsche(at)b-tu.de. Alternatively, you can call during this time at: 0355/692774.
- The Chair now has a Twitter-account: https://twitter.com/BTU_EnvEcon
- Workshop "Insektenverluste durch den Einsatz von Konditionierern bei der Behandlung von Mähgut", 1.12.2020, at the Alfred Toepfer Akademie für Naturschutz, organised by the project Insektgut / Dr. Lutz Philip Hecker.
- Award: Henrique Manhique was awarded for the excellent graduation of his study program "Environmental and Resource Management" at the BTU, by the VDI (Verein Deutscher Ingenieure)
- Working Paper: Charlotte Gerling, Astrid Strum, and Frank Wätzold (2020): The impact of climate change on the profit-maximising timing of grassland use and conservation costs (Link)
- Publication: Regina Neudert, Lutz Philip Hecker, Henintsoa Randrianarison & Susanne Kobbe (2020): Are smallholders disadvantaged by ‘double sell low, buy high’ dynamics on rural markets in Madagascar? Development Southern Africa. (Link)
- Oliver Schöttker succesfully defended his Dissertation.
- BMBF-Projektmeeting: Climate adaptation project IAWAK-EE ("Informationsgestützte antizipative wasserhaushaltsbasierte Anpassung an den Klimawandel Elbe-Elster"), in co-operation with the Research Institute for Post-Mining Landscapes (FIB) has had its kick-off meeting on 10.09 at the IBA study house in Großräschen. (Link)
- Working Paper: Zhengzheng Hao, Astrid Sturm, und Frank Wätzold (2020) A novel spatially explicit hydro-economic modelling procedure to design cost-effective agri-environment schemes for mitigating nitrogen and phosphorus from agricultural land. (Link)
- Publication: Mary Nthambi, Nonka Markova-Nenova, Frank Wätzold (2021):Quantifying Loss of Benefits from Poor Governance of Climate Change Adaptation Projects: A Discrete Choice Experiment with Farmers in Kenya, Ecological Economics 171, 106831 (Link)