These are the initial steps, which you will need to take care of after your arrival:
- Allow for enough time to move in in your new place of residence (make sure to sign a tenancy contract)
- If your landlord has not already, it is important that you take care of all matters related to your housing (e.g. electricity, internet, etc.) as soon as possible, which includes putting a name plate on both your mailbox and doorbell
- Drop by at the Welcome Centre and pick up your Welcome Package
- Sign your employment contract
- Register with your host institution
- Register at City Administration Office (Stadtbüro)
- Open a German bank account
- Acquire a health insurance
- Acquire both a residence permit and a work permit
- Register your children at the children day care facilities and schools
- Organise and personalise your workspace (e.g. internet access, library access, etc.)
- Inform yourself about any possible tax payments and pension rights
The Welcome Centre wishes you and your family a very successful start at the BTU and in Cottbus/Senftenberg.
We look forward to meeting you and your family in person!