FOR1182 Research Unit: Transport and structure formation in turbulent Rayleigh-Bénard-, Taylor-Couette- and pipe flows near solid walls Speaker: Christoph Egbers, Project Coordinator: Rodica Borcia
The DFG-Turbulence Unit coordinated from BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg (Speaker: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Christoph Egbers) since April 2010 has been evaluated as "excellent research" at the end 2012, becoming in this way funding of around two million Euros for the next three years. The partner universities and institutes are located in Cottbus, Ilmenau, Marburg, Erlangen and Klosterneuburg (Austria) gather around 30 people together researching on three fundamental flows that have been mostly separately studied: thermal convection in a cell heated from below (Rayleigh-Bénard), shear turbulence between two concentric rotating cylinders (Taylor-Couette), and pressure-driven turbulence in a pipe flow.
Turbulent transport and local dynamic processes near solid walls have been intensively studied in the last six years. A lot of brilliant scientific achievements (theory and experiment) were obtained on the three fundamental flows reflected by the 65 scientific papers with highlighted publications in Science, Nature, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Physics and Fluids, and Physical Review (for more information see Link). The data generated coming from peer-reviewed papers were organized and uploaded on the famous ERCOFTAC Database (Computational Fluid Dynamics and Turbulence Mechanics research group, University of Manchester, Link). From 90 contributions on the actual CLASSICAL ERCOFTAC COLLECTION, five contributions are coming from our research unit.
In a collaborative research, the coordination of the main scientific activities has an important significance. Central project meetings have been organized in
- Ilmenau 10.02.2010 (Kick-off Meeting),
- Kleinwalsertal 04-07.09.2010,
- Göttingen 16-17.02.2011,
- Cottbus 15-17.06.2011,
- Erlangen 16-18.07.2012,
- Pottenstein 23-25.10.2013,
- Kloster Banz 05-07.11.2014
- and very soon a TURBULENCE SPRINGSCHOOL will take place in Klosterneuburg (Austria), 05-06.04.2016.
- An international conference with around 100 participants has been organized in Bad Dürkheim, 19-21 September 2011 Coherent Structures in Turbulent Flows, Organizers: Prof. Christoph Egbers (BTU Cottbus - Senftenberg), Prof. Jörg Schumacher (Ilmenau), and Prof. Bruno Eckhardt (Marburg).
- Three other famous international conferences co-funded by FOR1182 DFG Project:
- 7th European Postgraduate Fluid Dynamics Conference, Ilmenau Germany, 14-17 July 2014,
- International Conference on Rayleigh-Bénard Turbulence, Göttingen, Germany, 1-5 June 2015,
- and the 19th International Couette-Taylor Workshop ICTW 19, Cottbus, Germany, 22-24 June 2015 have registered a broad participation of FOR1182-young researchers